DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 03 Dec 2020, 08:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ZCA problem
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2020, 22:58 

Hi
I’m trying to build the zca project and I have assembled one channel of the amplifier and I’m having problems getting any output. Instead of getting the 2sk1058 for the MOSFET, I got a pair of 2sk2221 because they were cheaper and easier to get a hold of. I saw at the bottom of the project page that there was another person that had used this MOSFET with success and figured it would be a safe option.

When connecting the 2sk2221 to my circuit using the pin out listed on a data sheet I found online, (GSD) the load resistor and the transistor would not even get warm and the voltage across the source and drain was around 24.5v (roughly the input voltage). When plugging in an audio source and a speaker the music came through very faintly.

I checked over the circuit multiple times and verified that everything is connected according to the schematics. I was looking at other form posts to try and resolve the issue and I came across one claiming some transistors had the source and drain pins switched with the pin out being GDS so I tried switching those pins in my circuit with no real success. The load resistor did get warm and the voltage across the drain and source dropped to around 13v but I didn’t get any sound out of my speaker.

Does anyone have any suggestions cause I’m out of any ideas.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: ZCA problem
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2020, 21:37 

I decided to order a 2sk1058 and now the amp works. Either I got some bad 2sk2221s or they just don’t work in the circuit

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2020, 14:39 
Editor

hi Alex, welcome to the forum and thanks for your notes. It's too bad about the 2SK2221. As you noted, we had a report from the Netherlands that worked. Unfortunately I no longer trust the authenticity of transistors unless I am getting them from a reputable source.

Cheers

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020, 18:31 
Project Author

Gio wrote:
hi Alex, welcome to the forum and thanks for your notes. It's too bad about the 2SK2221. As you noted, we had a report from the Netherlands that worked. Unfortunately I no longer trust the authenticity of transistors unless I am getting them from a reputable source.

Cheers

Gio, this particularly true for OPA2134s. You must get them from a reliable source. You may pay more but you know they are genuine. I have come up with three points with this chip which can identify the real from fake. I’m guessing the same issue happened here.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020, 18:36 
Project Author

alexbc2999 wrote:
I decided to order a 2sk1058 and now the amp works. Either I got some bad 2sk2221s or they just don’t work in the circuit

This is an amp I designed many years back. It’s simple and those who have built them love them. The 2SK1058 power FET is the way to go for best results. One builder got more wattage by using a different voltage. You should find the thread and have a read.

Also if you like the ZCA the MCA will really impress you. I think a better sound. This time 2N3055 based. Chase up the thread. Also with either the input cap should be 0.1uf not what was on the original schematic.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2020, 22:12 

I took a look at the MCA thread and it looks like a good project to try. I already have a few spare lsk170's laying around (luckily I know they're genuine) so I ordered the remaining parts (I also ordered a couple extra 0.1 uf caps for the ZCA as suggested) and designed a board that I'll etch for it. I'm gonna give it a try with the power supply I made for the ZCA.

I'm really enjoying the sound I'm getting from the ZCA but in my opinion I feel like it has some trouble with brass, especially higher pitched trumpets, but it could just be my ears/speakers. Hopefully I'll notice an audible difference between the two amps once I get the MCA built up as I don't have the best speakers (specifically Technics sb-x10)

Thanks for the suggestions with possible fake transistors, I'm going to take extra precautions to make sure I order from reliable sources