DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 28 Oct 2020, 12:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slim Line 100W Class D
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2020, 13:56 
Project Author

This started as a 150W Class D amp, with hifimediy T3 Tripath modules in a 1U enclosure. But the amp had a quiet buzz I could not fix. I then changed it to a 25W single rail chip amp with passives on strip board. That didn’t play music though all voltages etc checked out.

I then saw on eBay a very small (about credit card size) 100W Class D module. And it’s only AU$20 delivered. It worked with the single rail 36V PS I had already made and looked squat enough to fit in the low 1U rack mount enclosure. The module is based on the TDA7498 chip and uses BTL technology. These enclosures are quite smart with an ash stipple finish, steel top, bottom plates and side brackets and Al back and front plates.

The finished amp is called “Image” and the name plate has been ordered. The module is rated 100W into 4 and 80W into 8ohms. Which means better than 70 clean watts before the usual 10% distortion stated with most Class D amps at full power.
Attachment:
E74D9D56-57CB-4F63-B194-240AB85B18D0.jpeg
Attachment:
AB5048B5-937F-4383-A58E-38B5368B64C2.jpeg

It sounds really excellent and drives my easy to drive Altec horns and 12” woofer well. Bass is very good and the rest of the frequency range appears well balanced. Plenty of power and would drive low sensitivity speakers with ease. Very happy and now I have my super slim line power amp, my own little Devailet which was the main reason I started this project in the first place.
Attachment:
6294CA20-FF6F-4398-A459-020BA0559E65.jpeg

It doesn’t rival my Holton “Precision” amp with its extreme bass extension and control and sublime transparency but if you hadn’t heard the Holton amp you would never know what you are missing.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 23:57 

Nicely done, good for you!

What do you plan to power with it?

I don't have anywhere near your electronics capability. I recently picked up a cheap 2.1 power amp board from Parts Express for less than $20 to power an old Dell sub for soft, mellow background music in my bedroom. I gutted the power amp due to lack of cabling and control for the sub.

I like the boards that can take an old power supply from a laptop computer's docking station or similar. I have access to a superabundance of 19.5v 6 amp and higher power supplies from HP laptop computer docking stations. It seems that the 100w Class D amp boards typically want 24v or even higher. I don't see voltages that high in computer gear, except HP printer power supplies. However those units don't require anywhere near the amps that the power amps require.

I've been experimenting with REW and some test mics. That app is quite powerful for a free utility.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6731

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 00:02 
Project Author

I use it with a tube preamp. It is powered by mains 240V and has a linear PS.