DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 28 Nov 2020, 09:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2010, 12:31 

Hi forum

Have any of you guys tried to build or heard the Karlson speaker enclosure? Please tell something about it here, in this thread !

A couple of interesting links:

Pictures of a midsized Karlson coupler for Fostex FE206EN

John Karlson of Karlson loudspeaker fame speaks - 1964 radio

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2010, 13:24 
Editor

I have not hear the enclosure, but it does look interesting.

There is a bunch of information on these enclosures on the Karlson Speaker Enclosure Forum: http://gainclone.com/Karlson/index.php?board=1.0

Sorry I cant' add more. Would love to hear what others think of these enclosures with high-sensitivity fullrange drivers like Fostex.

Cheers

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2010, 15:12 

By karlson, would this be stig carlsson the genius behind some of the best speakers in history?

if so:
http://www.carlssonplanet.com/history.php

His speakers went under the name of sonab and were very clever omni directionals, I had not seen any DIY designs based on them though. There was talk of some of his designs being finished as he had been working on a 3D speaker.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 11:15 
Editor

Hi Oberlix, welcome to the forum.

It is a different person, John Karlson.

BTW - There is a retro ad for Karlson speakers in this post: http://diyaudioprojects.blogspot.com/20 ... dup-1.html about 3/4 the way down the page.

Cheers

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2012, 22:33 

I built a pair of Karlson enclosures 40 years ago with a pair of Tannoy Monitor Gold dual concentrics - a match made in heaven that I still use today. The cabinets are very rigid, and mine cost me a finger in the planer machine - oh well the sound is worth it.
A rich open natural sound without colouration. The enclosure design was not related to Stig Carlsson and the Sonab speakers, although I have a friend in Sydney Australia with a pair of these just as old as mine, and still sounding very good in his boatshed.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2012, 13:01 

i have a karlson set and i'm very happy with it they give a nice warm natural bass to me.
i have 4 15inch subs 18sound 600watts rms and 2 15 inch fullrange fane cresendo 175 rms

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2012, 07:58 

I used to live in Malverne NY, home of John Karlson. My uncle was a member of the empire state audio society he knew John and introduced me to him. This was 1969-72 when I was in high school. One of the favorite things for me to do was ride my bike over to Island Park where his factory was and hang out with John and the other old fart audiophiles.

I build a pair of the 15" K horns and loaded them with Eminence MI and Electro Voice SRO 15's some of the classic drivers of the day recommended by John.

There was a lot of hype about those speakers and almost a cult like following that exists to this day.

IMHO those speakers are pure crap compared to what you can do with a ported or closed box today. Don't waste your time building them, and they are a semi bit*h to construct, but have fun following the lore.

Peace
Phil Abbate

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012, 14:20 

Thanks for answering Phil, Rosco and cloudburst.

PostPosted: 11 May 2014, 20:45 

Hi, l am a new member, prompted by the Karlson enclosure thread. I did build a pair of these!
As a young sailor with more time than money, in 1963 I contacted the company and they were quick to send me plans for the enclosure.
I had a nice shop at the small base where I was stationed and several older civilians willing to help. I purchased the Altec "Voice of the theater" horn, crossover and I believe a 15" driver to put in the "box".
The sound was just out of this world. John Karlson told me he would lower the free air resonance of the woofer by an octave. That meant the 40 Hz of my woofer was hoping to become 20 Hz?
I mounted the HF horn outside the box and in the anechoic chamber at the Naval Postgraduate School found the lower roll off -3dB point to actually be 21 Hz with only a total 5dB variation beyond 16 KHz. The "box" became my "Awesome Speaker System" for several years.
Marriage and the birth of my first child, required the sale of my Karlsons. I had driven them with bi-amped Sansui Vacuum Tube amps and an early Sansui Preamp.
I am now 70 and have a nice pair if Accustats that I purchased in 1982 as I retired from the USN..

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2020, 16:32 

Just found this Karlson Enclosure in my friend's garage. This should help someone who wants one but doesn't have a lot of money. Oj eBay with no reserve at https://www.ebay.com/itm/143567803817 and Craigslist for $200 or best offer Built around 1954. Purchased used in around 1965.Overall size is approx. 34" H x 23" W x 18" D. Included internal speaker size is unknown (possibly 12" or 15").
Weight is approx. 85 lbs.; Shipping Weight is approx 97 lbs.
$200 or best offer. Pick up in Anaheim, CA or pay for all shipping and handling. Corey 562-980-6013
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/d/anaheim-karlson-enclosure-cabinet-15/7100847200.html

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.