DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 27 Oct 2020, 21:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 13 Aug 2020, 18:13 

After a day to recover I will probably roll up and do it all again. Rather than a high gloss finish either a matte or natural wood finish might be more manageable.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2020, 15:23 

@Woodo :

This is a simulation, not the actual SPL measurement of the built enclosure : right ?

I do not remember : the speaker used here is a full-range or a woofer-midrange ?

-tbln.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2020, 19:22 

Specs of the driver are from this link earlier viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6640#p57281. Just a single driver is correct. Asking around it would appear this driver with a Qts of .33 is not ideal for a T L. 0.4 to 0.5 is preferred. Also the Fs of 58.5 hz is a bit high. 35-40 would be ideal. I’m not really sure which drivers available in Australia for a reasonable cost fitting these specifications though. I don’t mind the sound of these little speakers though. Correct, the plot is a sim. I don’t have a microphone as yet to check the in room response. I did use REW with my laptop to record a sweep but may not be that accurate. I posted a sim of the built enclosure on diyAudio.com for comments. The comment probably reflect what I am hearing that the roll off at about 100 hz. If I increased the box volume to 32L I would likely achieve the driver Fs of 58hz maybe a little higher. The sim above is for a 32L box. I have the left over wood to build it but for the moment am happy with these little ones. Any larger doesn’t have the significant others approval ;)

Have a play with Hornresp or LATL. Input your drivers specs. It’s a reasonably easy learning curve to start with. David McBean of HR assures users that all things equal in room performance closely follows simulations. Room acoustics can be challenging though.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2020, 01:36 

Just playing Tame Impala the slow rush. Snip is of the freq response using an app fwiw. On a set of 2 ways the bass is quite heavy on most tracks. On the full ranges bass rolls off a bit and sound quite punchy. MJK also suggests using baffle step compensation to Balance the response. I am quite enjoying the detail in the voices and instruments as they are but might give the bsc a go.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2020, 02:13 
Project Author

Woodo wrote:
Specs of the driver are from this link earlier viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6640#p57281. Just a single driver is correct. Asking around it would appear this driver with a Qts of .33 is not ideal for a T L. 0.4 to 0.5 is preferred. Also the Fs of 58.5 hz is a bit high. 35-40 would be ideal. I’m not really sure which drivers available in Australia for a reasonable cost fitting these specifications though. I don’t mind the sound of these little speakers though. Correct, the plot is a sim. I don’t have a microphone as yet to check the in room response. I did use REW with my laptop to record a sweep but may not be that accurate. I posted a sim of the built enclosure on diyAudio.com for comments. The comment probably reflect what I am hearing that the roll off at about 100 hz. If I increased the box volume to 32L I would likely achieve the driver Fs of 58hz maybe a little higher. The sim above is for a 32L box. I have the left over wood to build it but for the moment am happy with these little ones. Any larger doesn’t have the significant others approval ;)

Have a play with Hornresp or LATL. Input your drivers specs. It’s a reasonably easy learning curve to start with. David McBean of HR assures users that all things equal in room performance closely follows simulations. Room acoustics can be challenging though.

Impressive looking driver.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2020, 07:21 

Hi @Woodo & thanks ! ;)

Another coincidence : in addition to having the same volume (32L) as yours, my full-range enclosure pair is fitted with a speaker (Triangle T17FL2) that has a close FS=55Hz but for a QTS=0.5 that would make it suitable for a TQWT or maybe TL...

I discovered the existence of an article from "L'Audiophile" n°38 / dated 1986, concerning the T17FL2 installed in a TQWT line :

ImageImage

My project (from the mid 90s) is a similarly-sized enclosure as yours, but in low-tuned bassreflex (35Hz) instead of a TL or TQWT, for compacity reasons. Below, the simulations :

So I should test your enclosure with my T17FL2, though - just for a comparison ! Since they would be placed in corners, the result maybe interesting. 8-)

-tbln.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2020, 22:30 

Like the look of the TQWT. I have read a few posts of people who have built them with success. Be worth simulating with your speakers. Then again if your ported speakers a giving satisfactory reproduction there maybe no need. 32hz sounds excellent.

think the corners certainly reinforce the bass of smallish speakers certainly in my case. I moved mine about 300mm away from side and back walls. I didn’t like the sound too close to the corner though but I didn’t leave them there long enough to get used to it. I will give it another try. Up until a couple of years ago I had the Chris Rogers design pro9tl. In another room I had the tannoy 611 series 1 I think with a sealed bass enclosure. The tweeter supposedly was horn loaded on the midrange and concentric. Not sure whether coaxial or not. While the TLs had nice bass down to the 30s the 611s had lovely mid range and high freq with smooth rolled off bass. I probably shouldn’t have sold them but at the time wanted to find a good vented box unit. The TLs had a peerless midrange and audax tweeter both regarded well in the 70s. Both speakers good but for different music. The size of the TLs were an issue at home with both of us here having dodgy backs.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 12:34 

Did your Rogers TL9 looked like these below ?

Nice 4-way beasts, indeed... 8-)

Many years ago, I made an attempt to design something similar but in 3 ways. I used a 10" Focal 10C01 woofer in TL, my beloved Triangle 7" T17FL2 in midrange sealed enclosure (14L IIRC), and a Audax 1" TW025A0 tweeter.

But in the end the results still stayed not satisfactory, so I abandoned that project...

And yes, like you, my loudspeakers are placed in corners now - the difference is that I have no choice to place them differently in my small room. And of course, this influences greatly the design and the size of the enclosures : no way for Onken monsters here !

-tbln.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2020, 01:05 

Nice speakers and listening room. My old Pro9TLs were similar but the port vented from the top of the baffles. I have a photo somewhere in the archives.

I tried to simulate the TQWT in LATL roughly using the triangle T/S parameters from http://petoindominique.fr/php/mysql_thi ... ref=T17FL2 . I had some trouble getting something sensible, it may be my lack of skill. This rather long thread compares the TQWT and the MLTL using a Vistaton 8in driver. Both are good but the jury voted the MLTL slightly better https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-ra ... ton-6.html.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2020, 03:04 

I see - so your ProTL9 were like these ones, I guess :

ImageImage

Good ! I'm interested by your simulation - in your 32L small box if doable... 8-)

Unfortunately, Dominique Petoin doesn't have the right numbers about the T17FL2 - here they are :

Thanks to let me know the results of your simulation... ;)

I'll have a look to https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-ra ... ton-6.html.

I do not find any link to the l'Audiophile T17FL2 TQWT - too bad - I have it in .pdf format but it's not enclosable - Well, it's also written in French, so... :blush:

-tbln.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next