DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 08 Jul 2020, 09:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on Speaker Build
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2020, 01:35 

I have just built a single ended amp using KT88 tubes for the output. The output transformers (Edcor) only have a tap for an 8 Ohm impedance. I want to build a set of floor mounted 3 way speakers to match this amp. I have had a lot of conflicting advice and I am now totally confused.

I have been told that I would need at least 88db speakers to get any reasonable level of sound from the KT88 amp. Also the nominal impedance on a lot of the speaker kits is 4 Ohm which is not a match for my amp.

The build for this amp is quite popular so I would be interested in what others have used for their speaker configuration.

Any advice on this would be most helpful.

John

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2020, 03:24 

If it ready to go give it a try. Similarly I assembled about a 5w 6sn7/300b stereo fed by my iPhone and rather than experiment with my good speakers, I hooked up my 85 db@1 w 1 m satellites. While not ideal music amply filled the room at about 75-80 dB which is plenty loud being considerate of neighbours. With 89 dB speakers there was plenty of overhead.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2020, 05:06 

Sorry I interpreted you already had some speakers. On this forum there are some diy speaker project pages as well as in the forum pages on speakers. On the related diyaudio.com site there is a forum dedicated to multi-way speakers you could post questions. There are some prolific builders here who hopefully advise based on their knowledge. I found my store bought b and w 2 ways were quite nice sounding with the amp I mentioned. Since then I built a labyrinth type cabinets for a small full range speakers which I am enjoying more though there is a lack of low bass - a sub might go best with it.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/speakers.htm
viewforum.php?f=11
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/loudspeakers/

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2020, 18:02 

Thanks for your replies John. I am now looking at probably going for a "Full range driver" instead of a 2 or 3 way system. It seems that this gives the best results for a SE amp. I will have a look through the other forums you suggest.

John

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2020, 00:07 

Tube amps don't like sensitive speakers, it distorts very badly you want to hide that, speakers which are really clear and gives out all the little details are going to ruin the sound.
You want smaller speakers typically 4-6.5inches which will hide the distortion, match the system and make it sound nice.

Dady brought home some fullrange very expneisve 6.5inches half a year ago to compare the sound quality from just standard fullrange ones.
That was a big nono testing with a Class D AMP, the expensive ones sounded very poor because it shows and exposes the distortion in the system very badly.

The specs, volume curve, magnet and the materials are all upgraded fully and the standard one is just inferiror.
But the expensive one just exposes the distoriton so it sound very poor on standard amps.
Only for very top of the top amps.

Expensive and fancy speakers only for people confident with the amp.

Is like building a house you need paint to hide the uggly parts, and you want to expose the parts in the house espcecially if you have a gold bar you want to put that in the living room so every one notices it.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2020, 06:35 

Also transitor amps even some very expensive ones sounds hard too, they don't like sensitive speakers either.
Its really those very very specail extremley expensive amps, vavle, hybrid or transitor, but specail.
Which will cope with snesitive speakers which gives you all of the details all of the vocal un blured with all the clarity.

Most amps will fall into the category of the speaker should hide the details so it sounds warm and matched.
Not clarity but the vocals are all very hard and listening fatigue.

To correct what I have posted
The specs, volume curve, magnet and the materials are all upgraded fully and the expensive one is just inferiror.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020, 02:44 

Ok, what you say makes a lot of sense. I was looking at getting the best clarity. Thanks for your advice.

John