DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 28 Nov 2020, 09:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2020, 07:59 

Good day everyone. I'm total zero at electronics and i'm a little confused i was googling all day but still no clear idea.
Is the impedance written at the left corner of the attached image is correct in that wiring scenario?
Does this setup actually draws a total of 2.6 ohms or 8 ohm??

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2020, 22:52 

impedance calculator agrees with you.
https://www.speakerimpedance.co.uk/?act ... calculator

If you need a higher impedance, try a serial-parallel combination, however, notice the effect on the power going to the speakers
https://www.speakerimpedance.co.uk/?act ... calculator

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2020, 21:56 
Project Author

Hummm... I'm not so sure. Within the given band pass of each of the three ranges it is possible to get an 8 ohm effective load on the source. For example at very high frequencies the series capacitor on the tweeter will have little reactance so the the source will only see the actual tweeter impedance. At that frequency the other two sections will have rather high impedances due to the frequency variable nature of the capacitor and inductor and will essentially be out of the circuit. At the very low frequencies the inductor in the woofer will have low impedance and the source will see mostly the 8 ohms of the woofer. At those frequencies the other drivers will have much higher impedances because of the reactive nature of their inductors and capacitors. So at any given frequency there should be only "about" 8 ohms seen by the source. In the crossover regions if the components have been properly selected one section will be going up at the same time the adjacent one is going down. This is naturally in a ideal situation. Often speaker designers will alter the overlap frequencies and cause deviation from the desired load. Typical speaker systems are generally not all that linear in impedance across their entire range. You will see peaks and dips. The better ones may only deviate by about 25-33%, some not so good will be off by 50% or more. The value a manufacturer sets for one is nominal and not exact. A good reference on speaker design (and will put you to sleep with the math) is the LDC7 Design Suite (for speakers). It comes with a group of programs that will compute most common crossover alignments like you show in the diagram. It does boxes and driver parameters as well. Not easy to use, but IMO invaluable for answering questions like the one you posed.

Good listening
Bruce