DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 28 Nov 2020, 09:35

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2020, 16:16 

Hello All !

I have a pair of TRIANGLE T17FL2 wide band speakers (French-made, late 80s-early 90s) and I am searching ideas for an enclosure...

Here are the specs of those loudspeakers which are from the 17cm/7" category (ext. basket diameter = 186mm) :

Some years ago, when my LspLAB software was usable (WXP), I simulated a Bass-Reflex enclosure for the T17FL2. Re-using this design, I modified it somewhat a bit with haphazard... Hence the name ! :D

Comments :
- dimensions are in mm.
- internal damping is not represented - to be experimented.
- slanted internal panels are designed to "break" resonant wave in the height mode.
- the port is calculated on a Bass-Reflex basis, but instead of being straight, I modded it in a somewhat "horn start" shape to increase coupling with ambient air.
- these wide-band enclosures are intended to be driven by an OTL tube amplifier with a power output of 10WRMS and a Zout of 20R.
- the room isn't very wide :

What's your advices ?

I was also thinking about TQWT types... I have absolutely no experience about this kind of loudspeaker load ! :confused:

Any advice, tip and help is appreciated - thanks in advance. ;)

-tbln

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2020, 21:30 

If your looking for extened fullrange true full range, then use open baffle setup, this prevents the low and mids from being amplified due to case, so you have flat response.
With any speaker box you will lack highs because of the reason.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2020, 03:59 

ILoveHiFi wrote:
If your looking for extened fullrange true full range, then use open baffle setup, this prevents the low and mids from being amplified due to case, so you have flat response.
With any speaker box you will lack highs because of the reason.

Thanks @ILoveHiFi ;)

Yes, it"s an interesting option, of course.

But one of the problems is that unfortunately I don't have enough space in my room to install any open baffle with significant bass extension from such a small speaker Sd... I mean : providing enough open plane baffle size to separate front waves to rear waves in the bass range. :blush:

I also saw yesterday evening this design (on the DIYaudioproject website) called "FrugelHorn" which looks like a TQWT followed by a kind of horn start - a simple design, much more manageable in terms of space considering my room configuration and size 8-) :

And this one, also seen on the forum : a folded horn, built by member Mark Houston from the Fostex datasheet - a complex woodwork achievement - congratulations 8-) ! :

Any personal experiences, comments or tips on these designs or of a similar style ?

Cheers ! :beerchug:

-tbln

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2020, 15:36 
Project Author

Hi, I don't know about the speaker issues, but the Marantz receivers are nice. I have two (2250 and 2265B) as well as an amplifier (1060). All work perfectly and get used from time to time when I am servicing the tube gear I normally use. The 1060 is in my shop and does double duty as a test amp for signal sources and preamps under design and to just listen to vinyl, cds, the PC and FM when I am tinkering.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020, 15:53 

gofar99 wrote:
Hi, I don't know about the speaker issues, but the Marantz receivers are nice. I have two (2250 and 2265B) as well as an amplifier (1060). All work perfectly and get used from time to time when I am servicing the tube gear I normally use. The 1060 is in my shop and does double duty as a test amp for signal sources and preamps under design and to just listen to vinyl, cds, the PC and FM when I am tinkering.

Good listening
Bruce

Thanks @gofar99 ! ;)

I bought them when they were affordable, and restored them. I also have a 2270 (not shown).

My 2250b and 2015 (above) :

my 4240 - stupidly sold many years ago :( :

The 2250b drives a pair of Magnepan SMGb flat speakers.

The 2015 drives a pair of "WAF Monitors" Bass-Reflex (DIY) :

My pair of Klipsch Heresy HBR (with modded crossover) is connected to my Ultimate 300B mono blocks (DIY - only one shown below) :

Since I have other amp projects under construction, I wanted to complement with a pair of tower-shaped wide-band enclosures, hence the thread... :)

Cheers ! :beerchug:

-tbln

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2020, 04:52 

Finally, I abandonned that project... Returning my pair of Triangle T17FL2 in their original compact 32L bass-reflex boxes, made from massive Beech wood in the early 90s, and retuned lower with a longer port : less boomy sound, and better bass extension and damping, in the same space. 8-)

OK... It's a room compromise ! :|

-tbln.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2020, 23:21 

I posted a question about the TQWT enclosure using the Triangle driver on the sister forum where resides experienced modellers. The replies may be useful for further modelling. The T17FL2 shows promise but may require a larger box. https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoof ... ost6312791

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2020, 05:56 

to add to above, this is a sim of the TQWT which gets a reasonable output. The box is 111L and has a 2.12m pipe so it's not small.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2020, 08:26 

Thanks Woodo for your interesting simualtions ! 8-)

111L is a very large enclosure, indeed :eek: Unfortunately, my little listening room do not allow for such a cabinet... :(

That said, I'm not surprised , due to the 40L VAS of the T17FL2....

My "Hazard" enclosure was already big at circa 60L, using the idea of an infinite labyrinth load plus coupling horn start, for corner placement, the box being nearly fully stuffed...

I think I'll stick with my little 32L modded "long throw vent / low tuning" bass-reflex placed in corners... But I keep the TL / Hazard / TQWT idea for another speaker... ;)

-tbln.