DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 28 Nov 2020, 09:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY "bluetooth" speaker
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 11:13 

Hello im very new in this, but have kept and collected speakers as I have always had a dream of using them to build my own speaker.

I have found an old broken "denver ipod dock" that I now wish to use to make a portable "bluetooth" speaker as it already has a perfect case. I also hope to use the speakers but its not a necessity as I have a wide range of others to choose from.

I have removed the battery and all the amp boards inside as they were broken. So whats left is the case and the three speakers.

The speakers is 2*20w/6ohm and 1*80w/6ohm

Im not looking to make the best speaker in the world but just trying to learn how it is possible as it will be my first project and therefore simplicity is prefered over performance.

So my question(s) is:
- is it possible to make it to a portable speaker
- wich parts do I need
- any recommendations is well apreciated

I hope I have found the right forum, if not please direct me to one if possible.

/Jonas

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 08:59 
Project Author

Let's start with the old plumbers saying "All things are possible. Some just cost more and take longer."

What you have is a case with speakers and a battery. So let's start from there.

1. Amplification: Since you have a battery you'll want a high efficiency class D amplifier. You could use something like the module referenced here: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6486 Just make sure that your battery can drive the appropriate voltage.

2. BlueTooth Receiver: You need a blue tooth module. These can be found all over the internet. Find one that fits your needs.

3. Battery charging: Make sure you save the battery charging unit from the original unit. You'll have to recharge the battery from time to time.

4. Volume control: Most volume control will be done electronically via the BT card. But you may need a pad between the module and the amplifier. Check output and input levels and adjust as necessary.

I hope this helps. Let us know how your project progresses.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 10:36 

Thanks a lot for the fast response!

Great start! I will have a look on those.

Im not sure the battery is working any longer (how do i test it?) as its pretty old - any recomendations of such would also help a lot.

I have found different "audio amplifier modules" on aliExpress that looks like they have it all - Aux, bluetooth receiver, audio amplifier and volume control are these complete no gos?

thanks again, its already helping a lot!

/Jonas

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2020, 19:54 

Bluetooth modules like the BC127 will receive BT and output analogue audio to an amp system. The kind of system you show in your pic would most probably have one amp per spkr. one small right ch, one small left ch amp, and then one amp dedicated to the bass spkr. These amp boards and complete setups are available on the net.
Spend some time understanding the different parts of the system from BT signal to the end spkrs and it will come clear which path you should take.