DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 28 Nov 2020, 09:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2020, 07:20 

Small Tones comes in Small Packages...

A small 3-Way project with salvage loudspeakers : WAF-3W

The speakers - tweeter is missing for the moment :

The boxes - sealed enclosure (QTC=0.77), maybe convertible into bass-reflex (?) - to be studied :

The midrange back cover bricolage :

Wait and See... ;)

-tbln

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 16:22 

Well... Why not using an infinite baffle in the Kyzylkum desert, finally ?

Cheers !

-tbln.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2020, 10:48 
Project Author

Hi, Looks nice. It has become really amazing how good smaller speakers can sound now. Even the really tiny ones with 60-100mm cones can actually sound nice. The disadvantage is physics. They are inefficient. I have seen values in the 75 dbw range on some. However since class D amps are quite powerful and small it is not so much a problem as before. Your build looks nice. Personally I'll keep my electrostatics and 205 liter subs 8-) even if they hog a goodly chunck of my listening room.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2020, 15:03 

gofar99 wrote:
Hi, Looks nice. It has become really amazing how good smaller speakers can sound now. Even the really tiny ones with 60-100mm cones can actually sound nice. The disadvantage is physics. They are inefficient. I have seen values in the 75 dbw range on some. However since class D amps are quite powerful and small it is not so much a problem as before. Your build looks nice. Personally I'll keep my electrostatics and 205 liter subs 8-) even if they hog a goodly chunck of my listening room.

Good listening
Bruce

Thanls @gofar99 ! :)

Yes that's true : the offer in small good sound sounding speakers is great now... But yes also : the laws of Physics remains the same.

In the past, I built some monsters, but finally dismantled and sold them to a pal who has a large room to reveal their potential :

Because it's another issue of Physics for me : my listening room is very small... Fortunately, the sound is very good in it, thanks to non-parallel walls and ceiling, furniture and mess !

So with the exception of my Magnepan SMGb and my Klipsch Heresy I HBR (with modded Xover) that are a little big, the rest of my DIY speakers (and amps) are rather compact :

WAF-2W using Audax Speakers :

Triangle T17FL2 full-range 7" speaker in Beech wood enclosure :

Hence the current WAF-3W project here...

Frontface disposition is defined :

I extended from 0.3L to 0.6L the back cover of the 3" full-range that I use as a midrange, and finally choose PVC for a more reliable glueing with time :

Oh, and the tweeters by Philips :

The cablinets will be Tolexed in "Levant Orange" (sides) and "Ivory White" (top, bottom, front, back) :

These enclosures are sealed - bassreflex convertible by simply plugging the 63mm vent :

Here is a simulation showing what can be expected :

Wait and See ! ;)

-tbln.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 13:31 

Today, presenting the loudspeakers on the box - once drilled but unfinished :

-tbln.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2020, 16:49 

I Tolexed the cabinets today : Ivory White and Levant Orange. Some touch-ups are required to finsh the corners.

Quick look on speakers presentation : Fonky, Unseen or... Both ?.

Next steps : mounting, stuffing, speaker measurements in enclosure, crossover determination...

Wait and See,

-tbln.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2020, 06:03 

work is on progress (nameplate simulation) ;) :

Including for Tolex scraps :D :

-tbln.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 14:59 

Yesterday evening, first test in mono :

Verdict :
- No noticeable tone flaw, good damping (low alignment factor n=2.45) and bass level, correct tonal balance. 8-)
- The Visaton W170S8 is a ruggered but not premium performance speaker :| : Fs appears to be 44 and 46Hz instead of 36He specs, efficiency is 86dB specs, much lower than the tweeter and midrange (see L-Pads settings pic below).

I plan to replace the W170S8 by a Monacor SPH-170 of same dimensions but better performances : Fs=38Hz and N=90dB, larger magnet... The simulations show a 10Hz gain on F3 for a similar damping (n=2.78). A good compromise for a 41 Euro unit !

Of course, other speakers could be used like ScanSpeak 18W_8545-01-8 or 18WU_4747T00-4, or SATORI_MW19P-8, but this is not at all the same budget ( 160 to 250 Euro unit).

Crossover : note that the MidRange speaker is a 4-ohms unit.

I tested different vent configurations : all are interesting alternative, depending on speaker placement... :)

This evening : stereo listening since I built another corssover (more tidy...) :

I'll make measurements with my audio software to detect unnoticed flaws or paths of improvements.

Wait and See... ;)

-tbln.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2020, 15:49 

Woofer change : Visaton W170S8 ----> Monacor SPH-170/8

Larger magnet, lower Fs, higher BL, slightly lower QTS (0.44 vs. 0.47), more efficiency (90 vs. 86dB/W/m)...

More percussive with better damping, smoother and deeper bass response and extension. This is not tremendous, but nonetheless very noticeable.

A good improvement for a 82 Euros investment 8-)

-tbln.