DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 28 Nov 2020, 09:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The CUBE
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020, 14:47 

Woodo wrote:
I like your analytical approach. I have a lot to learn about diy xovers. In the past I have purchased ready made ones, not really understanding the calculations. I should try harder.

It’s Interesting you used ferrite core inductors. For my BSC I used air cored but also bought a pair of ferrite core. In the end the air core fitted the small space better as I originally figured I wouldn’t use a BSC. Next time I will make some space under the box. Do you find the ferrite core sounds better?

Hi Woodo,

I'm waiting for the parts, so I can't tell...

For me, what makes the real difference is the DCR of the coil itself, not really the fact that it is Ferrite, Metal or Air core. Lower DCR - as found on Ferrite and Metal core coils - provides better efficiency and more dynamics mostly if the coil is serial, and it is quite easily heardable...

Insertion loss due to the DCR of a coil can be calculated by :

L = 20.log(Rm/(Rs+Rm))

Where :
L = insertion loss in dB.
Rm = impedance of the speaker in Ohms.
Rs = DCR of the coil in Ohms.

Examples for a speaker impedance Rm=8R :
If Rs=0.2R then L=-0.21dB. Well, OK.
If Rs=1R then L=-1.02dB. Here, this is not negligible anymore...

Another advantage of Ferrite or Metal core coils is that they neatly save the space taken in the enclosure volume for a lower DCR than Air coils, especially since it is a small volume enclosure (i.e. The Cube). 8-)

I know that some people will argue and say that Ferrite or Metal core are not as linear as Air core, and may saturate and distort. This is true for very high powers, largely over 100W RMS (metal core are often designed for 500W operation) but at the power we use our speakers most of the time, the benefits of the low DCR and space saving are much more obvious and interesting.

But it's me, OK ? ;)

-tbln.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2020, 16:19 

The CUBE Story comes to its end...

Oiling with Syntilor water-solvent incolor protective oil for kitchen furniture :

Wiring the elements and stuffing :

First pictures finished :

Next step : measurements...

-tbln.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2020, 17:41 
Editor

Great job on the enclosures. They look real good.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2020, 08:49 

Thanks @Gio ! :)

Cheers,

-tbln.