DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 06 Mar 2021, 09:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 05:09 

Wow, just wow :eek:

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2012, 13:58 

Yeah it's terrible, the Loudness War has seriously undermined audio quality for some time. It's also the reason you can't watch modern movies or TV without turning the volume up and down constantly because the actors dialogue is so quiet compared to the high amplitude music tracks supplied by the record company.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2012, 15:13 

Yeah...

That´s what I have been talking about.

I really don´t understand the need for those compressions.

All the music is played at the same sound level. It´s crazy!

Lots of people are going back to vinyl.

I´m still a big fan of 16bit cd´s. So I only get early editions (new or used).

Maybe one of these days I can find someone, that can really explain this "loudness war".

Happy New Year!

Miguel

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2012, 12:11 
Editor

Yes, this is very true. I went through the exact same story with a few Fleetwood Mac albums. The "remastered" pressings from the late 90s are terrible in comparison to the mid-late 80s issues. Even the "deluxe" editions from the mid-late 2000s were not as good, but at least the deluxe editions came with new bonus material which somewhat made them worthwhile.

If you want to check out your own CDs you can get an analysis of the waveform using Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
The Audacity software is free and open source.

Cheers

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2012, 20:50 
Project Author

Hi, Yes... compression the devil in disguise. Horrible. :eek: Very true about early LPs as well. My original copy of Rumors is better than the later release and the CD. While vinyl has a more limited dynamic range often only about 60-65 db and CDs in theory can do around 100, you would expect the music industry to use the extra range wisely - such is not the case (there are some exceptions). An unfortunate thing that may be at the root of much of the problem is that a large majority of individuals perceive louder as better when it comes to sound. A-B tests have confirmed this many times over. So I suspect that the industry is just trying to provide what many folks like. Those of us who think differently are SOL. :|

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 00:15 

To make matters worse than this.....

I went looking for a song last night. It was not available anywhere on official as a lossless, but for purchase as a bad sounding 128K .mp3.

So, I went torrenting... that's where all the losses versions were :D
(this is legal in Canada... for now)

We are being backed into a corner of mediocrity.
(The "Impatient Futurist" columnist in Discover magazine said the same thing)

*sigh*

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012, 15:33 

I lay some of the blame at the feet of people who only listen to music with the cheapo earbuds that come with iPods and other similar MP3 players. When I bought my Samsung YP3 a few years back I never opened up the earbuds, they went right into the trash where they belong. When i listen to the Samsung I use a pair of $25 ratshack headphones that are just so much better. MP3's are not very good but they can be made tolerable with a pair of decent headphones. If you pump them through an decent external DAC some of them can be quite enjoyable unless some idiot has compressed all the music out of them.

I prefer vinyl but finding good copies is expensive.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2013, 20:53 

very interesting. A few years back i made the switch to vinyl...i'd never really given vinyl much thought, went into a local audio store and listened to a cd back to back with the lp and the vinyl just sounded more realistic....this is part of the reason why...very good video.

PostPosted: 19 May 2013, 11:20 

Informative post ! Its true, CD Player and Audio/Video Quality is not same as it use to be 15years back,
I remember buying expensive CD for Rs.650 (Approx USD $15), use to play using CD Drive which has Play button. I had hooked it up to a DIY Audio amplifier (cheap 4441 IC) , now I have cd player, with panasonic head gear, but quality is so bad, there is no feel or experience of music it use to be those days... so its compression which is killing quality ! I use to think its cheaper hardware.
Thanks..