DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 06 Mar 2021, 09:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is it a Drega or a Rual?
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012, 21:40 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, It is amazing what incompetent tinkerers like myself can do with left over parts and a lot of power tools. This is still an unfinished project. But it is full operational now. Not the best cartridge (OM5E - left over from a P-J DB III) but sound is quite nice, clean, very quiet. The motive power is from a Dual 701 direct drive TT and the arm is a Rega that I replaced on my Sota (with an Origin Live). All the lumber was lying around the shop. A piece of 1 inch MDF, 3/4 inch MDF, 1/4 inch plywood, and a roll of self adhesive cork. The only causality was a router bit. I sort of cooked it on the one piece of MDF (sticky glue apparently). Now the fun part.... finishing the exterior so that it is pretty. BTW routing MDF is extremely messy. There is now sawdust everywhere :D
Attachment:
Turntable 1.jpg
Attachment:
Turntable 2.jpg

Good Listening
Bruce

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 14:48 
Project Author

Some improvement now. BTW it sounds great with a Denon DL110.
Attachment:
Turntable 4.jpg

Good listening
Bruce

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2012, 20:44 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, I still haven't decided on what it is.... but it sure sounds nice. A very quiet background and clean presentation of the audio. I'm still not thrilled about the super glossy black paint and will probably redo it in the future. Perhaps with the artificial stone stuff I have used in the past. It will certainly hide any painting flaws. 8-)

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 17:18 
Project Author

Hi All, I guess it is neither. I now call it a rocket. The base looks like stone and Stoney didn't sound like a TT name. I went through another round of sanding to bare wood and repainting and still wasn't happy. It looked kind of commercial and didn't visually indicate its true character. Everyone has all black shiny TTs. So off to the hardware store and find something new. This time textured "sand" paint and clear gloss topcoat. Looks nice and I am sure there isn't another in town like it. The arm is a Rega and the motor is the assembly from a Dual 701 direct drive. Cartridge right now is an OM30. Nice clean sound, quiet background, overall a worthwhile project. It will house the Benz Micro when my Dynavector returns. The other photo is of my system today, by tomorrow I'll probably change something. Not shown are the other pair of Oddblocks that power the subs. Too much heat concentrated in one spot makes changing disks less pleasant. :hot:
Attachment:
IMG_0087 Stereo System July 2012.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_0086 Rocket TT July 2012.jpg

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 18:17 

It looks very nice Bruce!

I would give it some sort of contrast by painting the plate / feet on the same colour :)

Congratulations!

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2012, 21:20 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, I'm finally happy with the result. It uses the Dual 701 motor, platter and control system, with an Origin Live Alliance arm (a knife edge variation of their other arms) with a Dynavector 10X5. The plinth is two layers laminated at 90 degrees from each other of 4cm planks each of which is composed of laminated 4X8 cm boards. I wanted it rigid and reduced likelihood of warping. The paint is a "sand" type with overcoat of 2 layers of clear lacquer. The arm board is high density particle board. A fun and frustrating project. I lost count of how many times I sanded off the paint and restarted it. Also it was the second plinth as well. I didn't like the fit of the components on the first one. I became real well acquainted with my router, saws, drill press and sander. The whole thing weighs close to 14KG and is mounted on shock absorbing feet. It is not sensitive to much of anything short of an earthquake. The sound is excellent, quiet, detailed and generally just lovely.
Attachment:
IMG_0215 TT Front.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_0213 TT Angle.jpg

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 00:08 
Editor

Looks great Bruce.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2013, 10:09 
Project Author

Hi, I have renamed it "Speckles" and done a few things to it. I added floor spikes and mounted it on top of a 12 X 12 X 0.5 ceramic floor tile on the new wall mounted shelf. The effect has been a quieter background, and a significantly greater clarity, especially in the low mid range. The photo doesn't show the spikes well but they seem to be the thing that had the most effect. I considered using the metal pads under them, but they appear to work better without them. They do scratch the tile, but at only $3 who cares. Home Depot has scads of them.

Good listening
Bruce
Attachment:
IMG_0451E.jpg

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 06:33 
Project Author

Bruce: they look excellent. Very nice mate. And it is good to see you are using your own power amps (lol).

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 08:56 
Project Author

Hi Thanks for the kind words, Since some new premium LPs come out on 45 RPM... I reattached that portion of the circuitry in the TT. As for amps, I thought some from Walmart might work (right!). A hazard for designers is that you get over run with them especially prototypes. I no longer know how many are here.

Good listening
Bruce