DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 06 Mar 2021, 09:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: phono preamplifier
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 04:12 

Hello! I have deck phono TESLA NC 430 with electromagnetic cartridge. The problem is that the amplituner which had the phono preamplifier is broken down.. Until now I haven't finished repairing it. Is there any problem if I mount in the phono a small preamplifier with LM387N and a transformer so at the output of DIN connector to have a liniar signal? I made a test and the only noise should be a little maybe from the motor of the phono.

I saw on the internet that there are some phonos with a cable coming out from them with 2xRCA. Do they have integrated preamplifier or not? Others have a DC motor and have a separate supply of 12V.

The phono is belt drive and has a UNITRA MF-104 cartridge (MM)

Post subject: Re: phono preamplifier
PostPosted: 29 May 2013, 00:38 

As you mention your phono pre amp is broken and you want to mount a linear pre amp in its place? .The two dont go together as it sounds linear means a FLAT frequency response a phono pre amp has a non linear response to compensate for the way the LP is manufactured and the carts response to it.to allow a flat frequency response. . A phone pre amp reverses the output from the cart. to allow a linear response its called a RIAA response. I do not know your deck but in the past 90% of decks required a RIAA pre amp to work properly its only in the last decade or two that built in RIAA pre amps were built into decks and that is for using to transfer an LPs sound to a PC for conversion to a CD or other form of digital music.