DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 06 Mar 2021, 09:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My DIY Turntable
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2012, 11:15 

Hello everyone from The Graet White North (Canada). I thought that everyone here might be interested in my little project. I am in the process of building my own turntable. So far I have the tone arm just about finished, it is patterned after the Well Tempered Labs tone arms. I am still waiting for a catridge and wiring, also Silicone should be here this week. Here is a couple of pictures of what I have done to this point, any and all suggestions welcome.
Attachment:
IMG_0707.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0712.JPG

Mike

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post subject: Re: My DIY Turntable
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2012, 21:14 
Editor

Hi Mike, Looks like you are off to a great start. What are you using for a pivot? Also, what materials did you use for the arm?

Cheers and welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2012, 23:08 

The arm tube is a carbon fiber arrow shaft. The pivot is the 6 lb. test fishing line, this also provides anti skate.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2012, 23:49 

That looks familiar.... were you at one of the Victoria Audiofests with an earlier version?

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2012, 10:10 

No I wasn't at the Victoria Audiofests. Actually I haven't even left the province in the last 8 years. I saw the Well Tempered Labs turntable and figured I try making one, can't afford a new one so I'll see how far I get. Just waiting for a new cartridge to arrive then I can use my Dual 502 to spin records and I should be able to test the arm sitting next to the turn table plinthe. Here are acouple more pictures, changed the base so things will work better for testing.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2012, 13:06 
Editor

I see the suspension pivot. I am curious how the arm rotates. Neat idea using an arrow shaft for the tonearm. This DIY Turntable uses a dual 701 and is suspended in air with magnets.

Cheers

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2012, 21:04 

Cool table Gio, did you machne all the parts for your tone arm? I am thinking of may be going direct drive or possibly go to a rim drive with a big heavy platter.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 21:22 
Editor

Thanks for the compliment, but the turntable build is from a fellow in Hungary. ;) The arm is machined. It looks like it took a ton of work.

Cheers

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 23:01 

I mounted the cartridge off of my Dual turntable to my tone arm. I set the arm next to the Dual and spun a few records. First impressions is Holy Wow. Sure makes the Dual arm sound like crap. The At 92 E actually sounds pretty good for a cheap ass cartridge. Images pretty well too. This is the best upgrade one can do to the Dual 502. What do you guys recommend for a cartridge in the $250-$350 range? Here are a few pictures:

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2012, 22:07 

I ordered a Denon Dl-110 carteidge on Friday, can't wait till it gets here.