DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 06 Mar 2021, 09:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: About tone arms
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2012, 11:40 

Hello! I have a question for those who have a performant turntable: which tone arm is the best?
-Liniar
-ā€Sā€ shape
-Tangential

Also I want to know the advantages and disadvantages for them.

Another question is: direct drive or belt drive?

Post subject: Re: About tone arms
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2012, 21:29 
Project Author

Hi, A can of worms. There are as many opinions as there are users of each of the variations. I am not sure there are definitive answers. One place you might post the question is on the vinylengine.com forum. They specialize in turntables, arms, and all the stuff that goes with it. My personal thoughts (I have 4 turntables at present in the $200 to $1500 price range) are as follows. Two turntables have dc motors, one of them uses it to drive a belt (Phillips) and one to directly drive the the platter (Dual), the other two turntables have AC synchronous motors and are belt drive (Pro-ject and Sota). IMHO the best of the lot is the Dual with the heavy mass direct drive system. All the turntables have straight arms. The arms on all of them have the head shell angled toward the center. All work well. There is a partial relationship in that price tends to relate to how well an arm works. Not a one to one fit, but really inexpensive arms are often OK for casual listening, and performance increases dramatically as you go up to about $500 (for just the arm) new price. Above that there are certainly improvements but they are in smaller increments. No arm is perfect. Regarding the merits of each type, the question is likely one of design philosophy. There are many excellent examples in each type. After recently returning from a major audio fest (RMAF at Denver) and seeing many high end turntables. I noticed that there was no one type favored by the very high end brands. It actually seemed that the majority were straight arms with the angled head shells. I don't recall seeing any true linear tracking ones or tangential ones. There were a goodly number of "S" shaped ones though. My take on it is that if the guys with the $20,000 -$100,000 and higher turntables use something it is probably good. If they don't there is probably a good reason why not. Generally more emphasis was on the type of suspension and mass of an arm than its shape.

I hope this helps a bit.

Good listening
Bruce