DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 06 Mar 2021, 09:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2013, 12:26 

Hi All,

I have been looking into building a 7.1 home audio system since my last set got damaged in a house move. Rather than buy a entire new system I figured I would try my hand at building one. I have built 5 subwoofer enclosures before for both the car and the living room. Both worked well and the construction was easy enough. However as everyone here is aware, building a single speaker enclosure without the need to worry about crossovers (all my other builds have used stand alone subwoofer amps) or calculating the size of the enclosure etc is easy. My other builds were all for subwoofers that stated the requied air volume or size,port size etc so I didnt have to work much out for myself other than how I wanted it to look.

Anyway, enough about the past. Now I want to design a set of speakers as the focal, main front speakers. The others will be simple in terms of a mid sized woofer with a tweeter. However the main front speakers I want to be larger and more impressive. This brings me to the issue. I want 2 x low woofers, 1 x mid woofer and a nice tweeter to finish it off. Can i buy a crossover that will do what is needed here. My local electronics store has them. Plenty on ebay too. They are all 3-way though and what i have just described has more than 3 speakers in each cabinet. How do I go about getting a crossover that will work for this situation? Can I just connect the two lows to the same low connector on the crossover or will this alter the operation of the crossover?

If I need to design a crossover for this specific system - where do I start. I'm not an electronics wiz.

Also, what can I use to get the size correct relative the speakers. Is there software that I can use that will help?

Thanks for any help you can provide

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 09:28 
Editor

Hi David, welcome to the forum.

Designing a speaker that will sound well is quite complicated, particularity the crossover. For a first speaker project that is quite ambitious. My suggestion would be that you find an already proven speaker design. There are many available on the web in many sizes and costs. Let us know what you are looking for and we can suggest some projects.

Cheers

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 11:36 
Project Author

Hi, Also welcome to the forum. I agree with Gio, this is a rather ambitious project. My thought is that since you have built subs, why not make high quality 2 ways for the fronts and use subs? It would seem to be a natural thing with your past experience. There are numerous 2 way designs that can get down to the 40-50HZ range and small powered subs could take over below that if needed. As long as at least one really good sub was the .1 of the system you might find that you won't need the full range response in the fronts.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 13:43 

Thanks for the info chaps. I would like to build my own speaker system still. So I guess that as you suggested the best way to go would be to start with a kit. I'm from the uk though. As far as I can tell, no kits are available over here. Even decent woofers are hard to come by. Seems like everything I look for shows up from the US. I'll have to have a deeper look. I may buy a ready made system and make my own style of cabs to house the drivers and the crossovers that come with it. I'll post back with what I can come up with...

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 22:30 
Editor

It doesn't have to be a kit. There are many well documented projects on the web that you can follow. You should be able to find speaker parts in the EU.

Cheers