DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 06 Mar 2021, 09:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIY CD Player Kits
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 18:30 
Editor

johnmcquay wrote:
Did you ever hear back regarding that CDP kit?

Hi John,
Yes, unfortunately they were only interested in very large quantity orders. :down:

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 02:19 

Hi Gio

That's no problem. I think it's a little out of the league of a group buy...or do you think we may be able to get enough people interested? It's a lot of money though, so perhaps I may go for the similar solution to some of the other folks here, mod a mass-produced unit.

Kind regards,

John.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 12:35 
Editor

I got the impression that the quantity was rather large. Modding seems to be the best bet.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 16:26 

That's a shame. I don't know what I would mod though. i did see a Teac CDP in a local pawnbrokers a few weeks back, it was only £30. I went back with my money a couple of days later and it was gone....not that I'm surprised. Was a very good piece of kit in it's time.

kind regards, John.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 21:17 
Editor

I have a NAD C521i and it is pretty decent with a good layout and plenty of room under the hood. They should be fairly common in the UK so you may find one for a good price.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 14:44 

I've also been down this road in the search for a nice sounding, aesthetically pleasing and well built CD player.

1. Buying new is out of the question for me, way too much money, certainly no bang for buck there.
2. Good quality used items are a possibility, but the really good kit still fetches hundreds of pounds for even 80's stuff, risky business if you cannot find spares.
3. The other option is to find and old CDP that has discrete boards (very important for modding and repairs) and is fully featured, including remote. You can then remove the guts and rearrange them in a case of your own design. Add better power supplies and analogue section upgrades (op amps) and case jewelery (connectors etc). You could even add your own DAC and as long as you can still get yourself a spare laser pickup, it'll last forever.

I've still got the guts of a Philips CDP (Cheap as chips by the way and reasonable internals) that I had decided to do the same on. I only changed my mind when I picked up a Pioneer PD-9300 fairly cheap.

If you want to go to town on the aesthetics, you could get the fascia custom made to your spec, et voila, a pucker diy, but pro looking CDP.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 15:21 

Granted, it's very hard. What got me into DIY HiFi in the first place was the fact that I love the sound of Naim hifi. As you know, Naim ain't cheap, and with good reason, it's fabulous stuff but I can't stretch to the cost of it (not while at the same time justifying it to my Mrs. ;-) )

Best regards, John.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010, 14:19 

Old Philips or Marantz machines is thankfull for overhauling in my humble opinion.
If you wanna full DIY CDP maybe some Shigaclone transport with one of those DAC kits in home made enclosure would fit? Especially if you know how to deal with PIC controlers (I don't).
That could be way under price asked for CDP kits out there.

Please, don't think I'm an smart@ss. Just an newbee who think loud... :blush:

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2010, 10:40 

I got curious after browsing this post. I found a few kits which may (or may not) be in your price range:

http://akustikperfekt.eshop.t-online.de ... Categories

Lofton

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2010, 12:03 
Editor

Here is one we missed earlier, the Elekit TU-884 DIY CD Player Kit: http://www.vkmusic.ca/TU-884CD.htm

The $390CAN price is a lot lower than most other CD kits and it contains the novelty of a 12AU7 tube! :smoking:
Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next