DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 26 Jan 2021, 00:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 16:10 

Hi everyone. I just registered on the forum and thought I would post up a question of mine. I am doing a DIY subwoofer project out of baltic birch and am wondering what kind of finished I can put on it to give it a nice classy look. I was thinking of using just some oil based black epoxy paint or to go with http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/Fo ... ss-Reflex/

^^^ where he finished it with a wood veneer? I havent worked with this before. I was also looking at this one (which i really like) http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/Jo ... ss-Reflex/

The problem is they don't show the steps exactly on how to do these, like what finishes go on first etc. I am not as experienced as some of these guys when it comes to finishes so i thought i would come here and ask for a couple of opinions on what to do.

Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 13:33 
Editor

Welcome to the forum. Both of those speakers you posted are veneered and look pretty good. Everyone says it is easy to do, but I have never tried it. Wood is not my forte. I used Tung-Oil on my Baltic birch pair of Dallas Back Loaded Horn Speakers with Fostex FE206E. Very plain finish but it does the trick for me. Thick paint like you noted can also look pretty good and it hides imperfections in the wood.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 09:44 

Spray lacquer looks fantastic on baltic birch plywood. Its very simple to apply and inexpensive. After you apply 2-3 coats of lacquer use a scotchbrite pad and burnish the hell out of it until it is smooth and shiny. The spray lacquer really preserves the look of the baltic birch and ages really nice. I use this method quite a bit and am always impressed with the results. They're not the best reference photos of the spray lacquer but if you check out my blog you can see it on some of the lamps I make.

http://www.secretlampservice.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2012, 23:05 

I'm partial to french polishing with shellac. It's not easy in that it takes a lot of time and elbow grease, but it isn't complicated either. I went from zero knowledge of it to being able to refinish a very expensive mandolin just by reading up on the internet.

The great thing about it, is if you screw up, just smooth it out with some alcohol and add new coats. It's totally accident-proof, and if you give it enough time and effort, you will get a mirror shine. Plus, since it's alcohol based, you don't have nasty petroleum fumes.

All that being said, oil finishes are great. I'm always more of a fan of rubbed-on finishes than spray-on.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2012, 08:14 

Something that I have wanted to try is to make my own violin varnish. There are instructions on the internet and it is a long process to make it (stuff has to age for 6 months), but the results would be great. Plus it changes color as it ages.

For birch, a nice oil finish would be good so that you can actually see the wood.