DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Jan 2021, 07:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 21:23 

I am at the point where I am going to be drilling some vents in my chassis. Its a hammond 1444 aluminum chassis 12 x 8 x 3. I have the drilling planned for the top already. Most of the holes are planned for right over the heat sink fins, and in and around the LM3886 boards, but I think I should also put some venting in the bottom and possibly the sides. Just wondering how you guys approach this. I want to make sure I get decent air flow into the chassis to help cool things down a bit.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 13:12 
Editor

Heat will rise, so the top holes will exhaust and air will be drawn in from the sides or bottom. Either the sides or bottom or both is fine. If you use the bottom, you will need feet to give some clearance from the surface the amp will rest on. Note that bottom holes may not work too effective on a carpet.

If you have the clearance at the bottom, I would place the ventilation holes pretty much in line with the heatsink fins and top ventilation. But the side is fine too. Really it comes down to clearance at the bottom and aesthetics.

Cheers

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 17:42 

Thanks Gio! I'll line up the top and bottom then, and put some feet. I would like to keep vents off the sides for aesthetics. Should be fine. Got a lot of drilling to do! I have tried using my Dremel to cut venting before, but I have to admit it looks ugly. I am not too pro with that yet.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 10:52 

Well, I just drilled about 300 small holes in the top. I am going to change my plan for the bottom a bit. Make the holes bigger and do less of them. I only have a hand drill, so its difficult work. I think next time I'll use a jigsaw to cut out blocks and cover the inside with wire mesh or something. Looks alright though, except for the few places where the drill got away from me.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 10:59 
Editor

Yes, go bigger - remember Area = pi x r^2, so it is more efficient and less work.

The hand drill is not bad. It may be more physical effort, but it is easier to control. There is nothing worse than a power drill that slips and ruins a chassis. OK ok, I guess a power drill that slips and does a number on ones hand would be worse.

Cheers

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 20:21 

Sorry, I meant power drill. I wish I had a drill press, or even an actual hand drill! My power drill got away from me plenty of times. I am hoping that painting it will make my mistakes less noticeable. I did countersink each one a little bit on the inside. I was thinking about keeping them small would help keep dust out, but next time, I am going bigger for sure. Luckily no hand injuries, so that's a bonus. Things are going well so far. Just waiting on parts. I like these 1444 chassis's. They look great, and are pretty easy to work with. Want to try one with the wood panels next.

How do you go about laying out parts in your chassis? I have just been using microsoft word to lay everything out, but I would love to get a program that's a little more useful.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 15:58 

Check this thread for layout software (DIY Layout Creator). I'm still loving it.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 11:44 

connemaraguitars wrote:
Check this thread for layout software (DIY Layout Creator). I'm still loving it.

Thanks! I'll check that out.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 12:04 

You need to use a center punch or, better yet, these self piloting drill bits;
http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/drill ... t_tips.jpg
However, for larger bit sizes, it's still a good idea to start with a center punch.

A drill press would make the job a whole lot easier.

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. - Albert Einstien