DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 26 Jan 2021, 00:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012, 04:28 

So I had a great idea the other day, and wondered why I cant find anything like it online. Wondering if I could maybe get some tips and tricks for the build, I am very good with this sort of project, but am not too humble to entertain advice and suggestions. First off I will post some pictures and then will tell you my plan... just realized the disaster my deskspace is....w/e.

Attachment:
desk.jpg

Ok Moving on, heres the base of my project. Now what I essentially want to do, if utilize the spaces at floor level to the left and right of where the chair would go, and make them some serious sub enclosures build into the desk...

Attachment:
rsz_1.jpg

Currently the space is about 22L x 13W x 29H for dimensions, but that could obviously be raised. Id like to put 12" subs in them, my ultimate outcome is 2 12's in each space. First off, I am no guru when it comes to enclosures and things of the sort. That is where I'd love some feedback and suggestions. Especially type of subs to use and the ideal size to make the enclosures with said subs. Also, ports, speaker placement in the space, materials you would use for such a project. I have done some googleing but again, would love some criticism and suggestions from you all. Tell me what not to do, what would sound like hell, etc etc. :)

Also, I should tell you my goal is to find some car audio subs to put in them, and this mainly is for the wow factor, I love the look of most car subs. They just have that "pop" about them :)

Uhg, Its so late, I have got to hit the hay..but please, if you need to know something that wasnt self explained, or that I didnt give you an answer for, please just let me know, and I will accomidate. Would this be a terrible place for subs for some reason? Why? Alls I do ask is that you dont give me your opnions, give me some solid reputable reasons as tto why youre saying whatever :p

I am actually hoping to get started on this project this weekend, so give me your thoughts!

Thanks in advance everyone :)

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012, 13:54 
Project Author

Hi, I don't know of any serious work bench that doesn't look like the consolidation of all the left over audio parts in the world. Some thoughts. Even though you like the looks of car subs, they are generally not the best things to use. They are designed with specific goals that are not the same as those for hi-fi. Also with the space you have (a reasonable amount BTW) a single 12 inch sub will probably work better than an pair in each side. I suggest you check out the forums at audioroundtable.com for guidance on speaker builds. Also check out Parts Express forums for guidance and their availability of components.

Good listening
Bruce