DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 03 Dec 2020, 09:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 20:17 

Hello,

Today I built a shielded power cord following the guidelines somewhere on this forum. I used Wattgate connectors and the Belden cable.

My amp has a Furutech receptacle. For the life of me I cannot get the Wattgate connector to go into the Furutech receptacle. I cannot understand it, every frustrating. I've been using another generic power cable with which I have no issues at all. I used a small screw driver to gently test the tangs inside the Wattgate connector, and they spread apart with no great force required. But something is up, feels like I'm pushing the cable against a brick wall. If I push any hard something will break somewhere. So I gave up for now.

Here is a pic of the two cable ends. The one on the right goes in no problem, the one on the left not so much.

If anyone has any thoughts I would be grateful.

Gustave

PostPosted: 11 May 2020, 15:54 
Project Author

Hi, From the photo it looks like the problem one is slightly larger. I would use a micrometer on both to check it. Also check inside of the mating receptacle to see if there are any ridges or things that might get in the way.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 11 May 2020, 17:40 
Project Author

These are different power connectors.

The connector on the left in the photo is a IEC60 320-1 C15 plug (male) which is compatible with the IEC60 320-1 C16 socket (female). The connector on the right is an IEC60 320-1 C13 plug (male) which is compatible with the IEC60 320-1 C14 socket (female).

So from your description the C13 fits but the C15 doesn't. This makes sense because in addition to the key cutout on top, the plug tends to be a little bigger. According to some, the C15 connector should fit into C14 inlets while the C13 cannot fit into C16 inlets. But this is in no way a universal thing and IEC60 320-1 does not require it. The C15/16 connectors are generally for high temperature (up to 120°C) applications. The C13/14 series top out at 70°C.

If you want universal compatibility, I would stick with C13/C14 connectors. They are much more common and any equipment where the chassis temperature does not exceed 70°C should have a C14 socket not a C16. Here is a chart showing the differences.
Attachment:
IEC C13 vs C16 power connectors.png

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 11 May 2020, 21:32 

Bruce, your theory was sort of what I was going with in the beginning. That is why I was probing the female connector (the one on the cable) to see if I could detect an obstruction/defect what have you.

Matt, I think you nailed it. I was wondering about the Notch thing. But said to myself, naw, all these "audiophile" connectors must be compatible right? Wrong! 8-)

I can figure it out now. Thanks.

Gustave