DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 14 Nov 2019, 13:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Good Recorded Music
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 22:25 

As far as good recorded music I enjoy a variety of classical SACDs. If you really want to experience the dynamic range of classical music, standard CDs are garbage after you get used to SACDs. Vinyl outshines standard CDs big time for any music with high dynamic range if your ears are sensitive to quantization distortion. The dynamic range of CDs comes at a price - high distortion levels for low level passages of recordings.

Super Audio CDs solve this problem. The "problem" is one of selection, but if you like classical music there is a wide selection available.

As an example, my SACD player "only" has a frequency response of 2 Hz to 40 kHz. The limit of the format is 100 kHZ, but I didn't see the need to spend $1000+ to reproduce the 40 kHz and higher frequencies. I only paid $120 for my player.

The discs aren't cheap. Most classical discs average $20 - $30 for good ones. There are a few rock and pop bands that have most or all of their catalog on SACD, but for most popular rock you're out of luck.

I think the price is justified by the fantastic sound of the classical SACDs available and the few rock favorites that have been released. Journey's Greatest Hits sounds great, at least the songs that were on later albums, Boston's first album is available and the increased detail is readily apparent, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is available in 5.1 surround on SACD (I prefer stereo), Elton John's Captain Fantastic is available and sounds incredibly crystal clear ,etc. There are many others.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 16:20 
Project Author

I just learnt that there are female Castrati. They are called Contraltos. I guess there has to be an overlap where the highest male voice meets the lowest female voice. A DG (CD) recording of Vivaldi’s Prima Donna with Nathalie Stutzmann (late 2010) which I recently purchase opened my eyes and ears to a new world of music.

I had only heard Contraltos once many years back and knew they existed but not heard any perform of late. This CD is positively astounding. If I was to rate the music content/material out of “5” it would get a “5”. If I was to rate the Sonics and craftsmanship of the recording out of “5” it would get a “6”. This has to be one of the best recordings in my expansive collection of both LPs and CDs including DVD-A.

Natalie not only sings but conducts. I would guess the music was recorded first (studio). There are a few tracks, track five being one, I had to play a few times before I could move on. It is beautiful beyond description. There are 24 tracks most reasonably short. The sheer sensitivity of the whole recording and the incredibly high degree of quality right from track 1 to track 24 has to be heard to be believed. The ensemble gathered to play Vivaldi is excellent and every musician is named. If you are an Opera fan, a Vivaldi fan, a Classical music fan or just weep when you hear incredible performances, but the CD.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 12:15 

I´m a big Frank Sinatra fan.

Mostly I own original CD´s.

I also have some audiophile versions.

Right now it isn´t easy to get good recordings, I mean without audio compression.

Red Book - aka CD´s, can offer a big dynamic range if DRC is not used.

So after many Sinatra recording versions and albums, let me recomend you the following title, where you can really enjoy suberb soundstage along with many known hits from the king of swing.

Artist: Frank Sinatra
Title: Sinatra Reprise - The Very Good Years
Label: Reprise Records
Release Year: 1991

This one is by far the best edition I have ever heard!

You can find it at very low prices on eBay.

Sinatra and Tubes go so well!

They sing so sweet togheter!

Worth a listen for sure...

Cheers,

Miguel

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 11:26 

Please have in mind that i´m only posting the best of the best, very refined selected titles (also same titles from other editions).

If you like these titles, these are a real must get / listen! :)

Here is another EXHQ disc:

- Artist: Glenn Miller

- Title: In the Digital Mood

- Label: GRP Records

- Year: 1991

This one will also drop your chin!

No DRC, incredible analogic sound, very balanced! :P

Amazon still stocks them for a nice price!

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 16:25 

Here is another well recorded album.

I have heard several labels, but MFSL is by far the best one I have heard.

Strongly recomended! :)

Artist: Carreras Domingo Pavarotti

Title: In Concert (Mehta)

Year: 1990

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 17:29 
Project Author

That looks good. I may chase it up here.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 21:06 
Editor

I've been listening to a HDtracks 24bit / 192kHz version of Fleetwood Mac Tango in The Night and it is excellent. Heads and tails over my CD and LP versions. I'm glad I took a chance on this album. I initially purchased Rumours and it left me wanting more, but it is also a good recording.

HDtracks also has a 24b-192kHz version of Tusk. Has anyone tried this? I'll probably try this one next.

Cheers

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2011, 16:04 

mwhouston wrote:
That looks good. I may chase it up here.

Go for it Mark!

You won´t regret for sure!

MFSL recordings never disapoint an audiophile! :P

Very balanced sound and full dynamic range is what you always get.

Merry Christmas to everybody! :)

Miguel

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2011, 22:37 
Project Author

Hi All, I see some folks from other forums I recognize. It hadn't occurred to me to check out this forum. I love all sorts of music as long as it is well recorded. Particularly acoustic strings and female vocals. So I would like to recommend to anyone with similar likes to check out the Diana Krall double LP "When I look in Your eyes" 180 gram, released by ORG (number 035). Portions are quite stunning. I do hear a few small issues with the way they recorded the piano in some sections, but the vocals are right on.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2011, 23:11 
Project Author

gofar99 wrote:
Hi All, I see some folks from other forums I recognize. It hadn't occurred to me to check out this forum. I love all sorts of music as long as it is well recorded. Particularly acoustic strings and female vocals. So I would like to recommend to anyone with similar likes to check out the Diana Krall double LP "When I look in Your eyes" 180 gram, released by ORG (number 035). Portions are quite stunning. I do hear a few small issues with the way they recorded the piano in some sections, but the vocals are right on.

Bruce: I got this double LP sometime back, yes very good. First side is over-syblanced but the other three sides are excellent. A darn good test LP but better than that: excellent music.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next