DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 02 Jul 2020, 17:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Good Recorded Music
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2011, 17:46 

I find all Diana Krall recordings excellent! :)

The Live in Paris vinyl is stunning! :P

I like to hear Diana very much!

Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2012, 20:30 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, I scored a LP last week. :) An artist that I had never heard of before but for $1 in the used record bin at the bookstore I figured I was not going to be out much if it was a bust. The LP is "Breakfast in the Field" by Michael Hedges. Virtually pristine in condition. It is acoustic guitar. Quite well done and really a test of any system. The actual music is not something I'm hot on, but the quality of the presentation easily makes up for it. An all analog LP, with they say no noise reduction or funky business at mixing. No over dubs.... Check out this guy's work if you are into acoustic guitar.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 22:48 

The latest Bon Iver CD is excellent. Very fun for in depth listening.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 22:50 

Oh, and for acoustics, Alice In Chains - Unplugged is what I'm listening to at the moment. The band is very well recorded and Layne's voice is perfect of course

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 08:05 

gofar99 wrote:
Hi Everyone, I scored a LP last week. :) An artist that I had never heard of before but for $1 in the used record bin at the bookstore I figured I was not going to be out much if it was a bust. The LP is "Breakfast in the Field" by Michael Hedges. Virtually pristine in condition. It is acoustic guitar. Quite well done and really a test of any system. The actual music is not something I'm hot on, but the quality of the presentation easily makes up for it. An all analog LP, with they say no noise reduction or funky business at mixing. No over dubs.... Check out this guy's work if you are into acoustic guitar.

Michael Hedges was such a phenomenal player, and though not known in the "mainstream", was one of those players that other top artists were fans of. He was a Grammy winner, toured with Leo Kottke, and was great friends with Graham Nash and David Crosby. Too bad he was taken from us at age 43 in a nasty car accident in 1997.

Cheers,
Greg

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 08:25 

If you really want to see how detailed your system is then get a copy of:
Hans Zimmer - Inception Sound Track
It really is recorded to the highest standards, Zimmer is a perfectionist. He uses a good mix of Analogue & Digital synths, along with an orchestra.
Being the sound track to a very moody and dramatic film it has an amazing dynamic range, with quite passages building up to huge and overwhelming walls of sound.
It just fills the room on our Audiolab CD player coupled with Ikon Audio Stereo 50 valve amp.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 13:37 
Editor

autophase wrote:
Hans Zimmer - Inception Sound Track

Thanks for the heads up on this album. I'm going to give it a try.
Cheers

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 15:51 

I've just got the 5.1 version of the Inception OST along with the stereo version. There are a few versions floating about but I found the 'Audiophile Edition'. Looking forward to testing my amp with it soon. I've listened to it through my DAC and headphones and it sounds great.

There's also a version online that's a virgin vinyl rip that comes in at 1.2GB as a FLAC file. However I won't link to it as it's a dodgy download!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11