DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 02 Jul 2020, 13:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Good Recorded Music
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2008, 09:11 

Anyone ever try the Mapleshade CDs? Analogue Productions(Acoustic Sounds)? As I'm sure those watching this thread know, both have their own studios. I have been getting their catalogs for years, but have never made a purchase.

Especially interested in the blues, of course, but my tastes run the gamut. I've discovered over the years, there is so much great music that 99% of us never hear OF, much less hear.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2008, 13:59 
Project Author

Well, I can see many people have discovered good and bad recordings, but I think if I read through this whole forum I will be here for the next year! Any ways I have my own collection of music, I've heard of a few cd's mentioned here. Allot of what I listen to is classic rock type music but enjoy a variety of types such as blues and classical. Yes there are allot of bad recordings out there, but I find the best is whatching a band perform live!

Because many of you guys have been here for a while I feel I have allot to learn about good/badly recorded music.

bye for now!
Alan aka the crazzy tube

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2008, 18:24 
Project Author

Hey whats the big idea coming in here and saying you have some good recordings but not sharing!?! :) Just messing with you man. But, hey, if you have some golden recordings let us know.
Ri

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 15:34 
Project Author

Well know, let me see here, I have the Brothers in Arms album on cd, tape and LP, I find this to be a very nice album, well recorded on LP. Another record I have that was given to me by my uncle is the Mannheim steamroller christmas, for those who like some what classical christmas music, I find that LP's on average are better recorded than cd's, but what do I know, most cd/dvd players today are junk anyways, and allot of cd's have recorded volumes that are waay to high.

I should go through my collection since I know have a half decent system set up after the rebuild of my Viking AR-6000. But I really have to give compliments to the Brothers in Arms album, although I have heard many other great albums, actually there is some good music by Nora Jones that I like.

Here I will list some albums by different artists that I find to be half decent, that is if you like some 'rock' on your system.
Rush-Moving pictures is a good album, fairly well recorded, and is one of Rushes earliest albums, Snakes & Arrows isn't too bad either, but the recording volume can over run detail. The album Beautiful Maladies by Tom Waits is a good one, Peter Gabriel has some good albums too.

I guess that is good for now, I shall list some more later on if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 18:08 
Project Author

Thats a good start. I was just listening to my CD version of Brothers In Arms. Coincidentally, that was my first tape that was not pop. The second was MrMister. I really liked MrMister as a kid. Something magical and tragic about their music that made it soulful even though you would call it rock/poprock.
BTW I think I might build your preamp project. Got 3 12AU7 tubes to use.
This thread is started and has been contributed to by people that are pretty into rock so dont feel like you have to dig out your classical. I do like Rachmaninoff but other than that its George Winston and then on to rock. Got to see George in concert a few years back. Close enough to smell his socks. Great seats
Uriah

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2009, 17:15 
Project Author

Well, now that I am more encouraged, I can list some other recorded albums, and some of my personal comments about them.

If you want to hear about some real classics, I found some of my dad's old cd's in a cabinet, including David Bowie, Neil Young, Talking Heads :D and allot of old Rush, like every album, and I must say when I've compared older albums with newer ones there is a big difference, as though some recording companies decided it was better to make the recording 'louder' degrading the quality of the recording in some cases. There are too many people my age that completely disregard the quality of a recording in exchange for playing their music so loud I wish they would go deaf.

Well I guess I will admit that I like to my music loud but to a point, but I pay attention to the quality of a recording even when I don't have to.

But enough of my ranting. As for some fun classic rock albums on LP I have lots of "Hair Bands"!! :P ; I have an album by the Scorpions another by White Snake, Motley Crue, a couple by Boston, and just for laughs my mom has double playing 8 track tapes of Abba, they are so old they play two songs at once! I also have her Abba LP's but my dad is not a fan of Abba, actually they scare him!

I have a few other classics including Super Tramp breakfast in America, and about three others. I have a five LP set of Bruce Springsteen, another album by the Eagles, and many other classics, all on LP!

The nice thing about LP's is that there are allot of second hand places were they can be found for as little as $2.00, you just have to check them to make sure they are free from scratches and other such damage, but if you really go searching you never know what you might find, there cheaper than cd's most of the time, unless they are new, and usually are better recorded than cd's.

Well I best go, I have an old JVC cd player I found at Value Village that I am going to try to mod with a tube output stage.

I really am a crazy 'tube' aren't I? :)

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2009, 19:50 
Editor

Hey CrazzyAbtTubes,

Are you noticing that a lot of made in Canada records are of poor quality. I'm cleaning up my collection and a lot of the records I am tossing are Canadian. They generally seem flimsy and sound thin.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2009, 20:05 
Project Author

I never really knew that but can see it being true, I guess I should check to see what the status is in my collection, I have not played some of my records for a while.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 16:41 
Project Author

Okay, in regards to the Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine disc with DVD and CD sides:
Dont play it in your car CDP if you ever want it back. Its thicker than most.
Also, play it in your DVD player. The video section of the DVD is not what I would call 'great recording' but it is definitely a unique recording and I really like the feel that I am in the club with her and her musicians. Its pretty cool. Worth checking out.
Another is a Bruce Springsteen recording. Its called The Seeger Sessions. He sings a bunch of Pete Seeger songs so its not rock or even anything your Dad would have heard often. This is old stuff. Good recording and its got a beat/speed/tempo to it that makes you really want to move. He recorded it with a bunch of fold musicians he had pretty much never met. Off the cuff, but good and it only cost me 3.99 at FYE.
Has a DVD side recorded in PCM Stereo. Whatever that is.
Ri

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 19:51 
Project Author

Just listened to THE BOSS again. Besides the fact that he has always been a favorite... this album is awesome. You have to watch the DVD with the audio going to your amp. This is quite an experience. Really.
Song 4 is. I dont know. Just fantastic.
Ri

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seeger_Sessions
http://www.amazon.com/We-Shall-Overcome ... B000EU1PNC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next