DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 02 Jul 2020, 12:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Good Recorded Music
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2009, 19:08 

Hi all,

In the new to me category. I am sitting hear listing to Slowhand by Eric Clapton. The LP is a new pressing from Germany of the 1977 classic. I needed to take a break and relax so i fired up, which is perhaps the wrong choice of words for vinyl and a turntable, the stereo and the Rega. I just love the way this LP sounds right now. On "Wonderful Tonight" the guitar solo's are stagged to the back of the vocals, I am not sure I noticed that before. I also realize that I like the longer pauses between tracks, gives your mind a moment to really clear it self before the next track kicks in. I will definitely have to adjust my iPod to delay longer between tracks. I am also hearing much more organ than before.

What i also find interesting is that I know I have to sit here since the LP will end and I'll have to pick up the tonearm. As such, I find I am much more relaxed and willing to just sit and relax. I am not jumping up to do other things while the music is playing. It is such a wonderful experience.

So, get out your vinyl, play your favorite, sit and listen, and relax. Let your ears enjoy the music.

Cheers,

Alan

Only can play one side it is time for Basketball at the High School.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2009, 12:43 
Project Author

Clapton is just incredible. I really like the Journeyman album.
Listened to some music yesterday that I have not heard in quite some time. Sade and Phil Collins were great listening. With the setup I have Sade, weirdly, seemed to be in the room and bigger than life. The imaging with that album was crazy. But not on all songs, just a few so it must have been the recording more than the setup. This was the Love Deluxe album. One of my favorites for a long long time.
I think the LDR attenuator really let some nuances I had never heard in the Phil Collins album through. I could hear the saxaphone keys slapping and some very high frequency dings/tings on whatever instrument I am not sure, but I had never heard them before. Also, there were times where he had backup singers harmonizing with him so it sounded like just his voice before, but now I could pick out the singers from his voice. Pretty neat.
Ri

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 07:11 

Hi,
New here, this forum came recommended from a fellow DIYer over on diyAudio, so here I am. I posted the following in a post about an amp we were all building and it seems relevant here so here ya go!

So, what is everyone listening to on your new rigs? I don't know about you but I always find myself digging out all my old favorites to listen to, especially when it is an upgrade to the previous equipment. I have yet to build my Rev Cs yet as I promised myself I would complete other projects first, one being a Millett Hybrid headphone amp. That's what started the whole listening thing for me. I have become a headphone hermit, but cannot wait until I get my Rev Cs up.

What I have been listening to is several live shows that really seem to show off the capabilities of my system. I would like to offer these recordings to anyone who would like a copy. They are legally tradeable as the bands allow taping and trading as long as there is no profit involved in any way.

Here is what I have to offer.
  1. John Mayer, two nights at the Webster Hall, NYC 12-28,29-2004, a remarkable live recording a tad bit of screaming but superior sonics. This is his smokin' blues power trio tour similar to his album Try, and not what you would expect to hear from him.
  2. Acoustic Hot Tuna, The Ram's Head Tavern, Annapolis, MD 12-11-2002. Jack Cassidy and Jorma Kaukonen, the "Original Acoustic Hot Tuna" These guys are legend, way back from the original Jefferson Airplane and all through the years. This beautiful soundboard copy captures them so well. Jack's signature bass crunches and Jourma's complex acoustic guitar blend and weave some truly magnificent stuff. This will show your system off for sure.
  3. The Grateful Dead Hartford Civic Center, 5-28-1977 arguably one of the Dead's finer moments, captured on a great soundboard, in all their glory. This should really show off sound staging, bass and highs. I can even sense different heights in the vocals as well as left to right presentation of the sound stage, the slam of the kick drums is clear, I could go on...

I know I am rambling but I wanted to share this with my fellow Rev C folks as well as anyone else who would like to listen to this great stuff. The way we do it is called a B&P; send me a blank DVD or CDs with return postage so it will only cost me the time it takes to make the copies. I will send you what I have written about or whatever else I have and trades are welcome as long as they are legally tradeable.
PM me for more info.
Enjoy the music!
Bill

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 20:51 
Editor

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum.

Headphones are great, especially at work! :)

Thanks for the music notes, I just got the MyRefC kit yesterday. I won't get a chance to work on it for a couple of weeks, but I will try post some photos of the kit on the weekend. I am really looking forward to this amp.

Cheers,
Gio

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2009, 12:42 

I have "accidently" found a great album in my collection: Angelo Branduardi - Il Ladro.
I "met" Branduardi early in the 70's as Peter Sinfield from Kind Crimson translated Branduardi's poetry to English and produced some albums. Il ladro (The Thief) is a later (1990) album with Brandurdi's typic mixture of Italian folk music spiced with Latin rythms. It is very much acoustic music with attacks and transients and loads of "room" that makes it perfect for testing speakers as well as just for enjoying REALLY GOOD music.

http://www.angelobranduardi.it/eng/discografia.htm

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2009, 06:37 

I'm constantly amazed at my MFSL Gold CD of Santana-Abraxas. Recorded in 1970 or so and the dynamic impact and range is unreal. The original recording had to be phenomenal for the MFSL version to turn out this way.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2009, 11:53 
Editor

That disc is very pricey on eBay so it pretty sought after. The LPs are reasonably priced.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2009, 14:15 

Two new additions that I highly recommend. :headphones:

Derek Truks Band - Already Free - especially Back Where I Started :thumbsup:
Duane Allman - An Anthology - His playing on Hey Jude is Incredible! Perhaps the best version of this tune I have heard. :up:

Been a fan of Truks since the first time I heard his music. A guitar player friend told me about An Anthology. I was fortunate to get All Ready Free on LP, no such luck with An Anthology.

Can't wait for the holidays and to see this list grow. :king: :king: :king:

Cheers,
Alan

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2009, 15:26 
Project Author

Hey Jude is the first song I ever remember from before I could talk. I had it on a music box :)
Uriah

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2009, 23:21 
Editor

Hippie parents must have been cool! ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next