DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 02 Jul 2020, 13:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Super Audio CDs (SACD)
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 23:44 

Does anyone else use a SACD player? I find the sound superior to both CD and most vinyl. It sounds like vinyl without the pops and rumble and like a CD without quantization distortion.

The frequency response of a top end SACD player is 2 Hz to 80 kHZ, with a dynamic range of well over 100 dB, and most importantly, very little quantization distortion and noise during low level passages of recordings, the main weakness of standard CDs IMO.

After getting used to SACD I'm spoiled. It's far less expensive than a turntable and cartridge (about $120 will get you a cheap Sony), and the SACDs last forever. That's my only real problem with vinyl. It wears out after repeated playing.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 12:03 
Editor

I've got the new Oppo BDP-83 which is a universal player that also can handle the SACD format. So far I have only a few SACD, most from the Chesky label and Jazz.

The format is very good and listening to 2-channel layer is an improvement over a standard CD. But I do have a beef with the SACD format
Quote:
Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to SACD, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.

Which is a bummer for 2-channel enthusiasts like me who use an external 2-ch DAC and 2-ch amp and therefore do not have HDMI. :down:

A lot of the SACD also have a multi-channel layer, this layer I send via HDMI to a home theater amp which is no where near as nice as any of my DIY amps. But in the end, I prefer 2-channel layer over multi-channel so I rarely listen to multi-channel.

So which SACD layer do others prefer?

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 15:54 
Project Author

I have to agree SACD is the way to go. I have a number of SACDs and are always impressed by the sound quality. It far exceeds even a very well recorded standard CD. I also have an Oppo 980H but it has been highly modified with Terra Firma clock and modified back-end. Though the SACD format has been dropped I think we will see a lot more SACD in the future.

The other format I can play is DVD-Audio (DVD-A). This is even better again than SACD. I download 24bit/96kbs Flacs and burn them to a DVD with disc Welder bronze. I have had a number of audiophile friends make some very impressive comments everytime I play a DVD-A. So it is not just me who thinks the format is excellent.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 09:22 

mwhouston wrote:
I have to agree SACD is the way to go. I have a number of SACDs and are always impressed by the sound quality. It far exceeds even a very well recorded standard CD. I also have an Oppo 980H but it has been highly modified with Terra Firma clock and modified back-end. Though the SACD format has been dropped I think we will see a lot more SACD in the future.

The other format I can play is DVD-Audio (DVD-A). This is even better again than SACD. I download 24bit/96kbs Flacs and burn them to a DVD with disc Welder bronze. I have had a number of audiophile friends make some very impressive comments everytime I play a DVD-A. So it is not just me who thinks the format is excellent.

24bit 96kHz PCM is even better than SACD DSD, although I doubt I could ever hear the difference. They both far exceed the capability of a standard CD.

May I ask where you download your FLAC files? My biggest problem is finding either SACDs or good 24bit recordings. I could even live with 48kHz as long as it's 24bit.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 10:15 
Banned

mwhouston wrote:
The other format I can play is DVD-Audio (DVD-A). This is even better again than SACD

HI.
Agreed. I am using DVD-audio player playing 24bit 196KHz mastered soundtracks, which sonically blow away any Redbook CDs (16bit 48KHz).
sampleaccurate wrote:
That's my only real problem with vinyl. It wears out after repeated playing.

NO problem is you KNOW what actually cause statics & wear-tear damages on the vinlys & now to handle them properly.

FYI, I collected hundreds hundreds vinyls, 99.99% recyled from Goodwill & Thrift stores for a buck or so per pop. I am a very happy camper.

c-J

PS: you may say I am "cheap".

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 16:18 
Project Author

sampleaccurate wrote:
May I ask where you download your FLAC files? My biggest problem is finding either SACDs or good 24bit recordings. I could even live with 48kHz as long as it's 24bit.

Linn Records and HDTracks have 24bit flacs.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 16:37 
Project Author

cheap-Jack wrote:
NO problem is you KNOW what actually cause statics & wear-tear damages on the vinlys & now to handle them properly.

FYI, I collected hundreds hundreds vinyls, 99.99% recyled from Goodwill & Thrift stores for a buck or so per pop. I am a very happy camper.

I have dozens of LPs from the 60s forward which have been played on a 8 different turntables, arms and cartridges. On my Rega with RB300 arm and Grado reference cartridge, which I use daily, most of the vinyl sounds new. So little to no wear.

I also raid the poor stores but find only 50% of what I purchase is in good condition. I have close to me two second-hand record stores both of which have excellent LPs at prices like $5. Also one specializes in new vinyl and in 180g etc.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 17:08 
Editor

My favorite media is high-res digital FLAC files (also the best sounding to my ears), 24bit/96kHz or 24bit/192kHz which I typically get from HDTracks.com which has very reasonable pricing

As Mark mentioned, Linn Records is good too, but ~50% more than HDTracks and Reference Recordings is another, but they are about double to triple HDTracks. There are also plenty others out there.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 08:32 
Banned

mwhouston wrote:
my Rega with RB300 arm and Grado reference cartridge

Hi.
Out of curiosity, what amps & loudspeakers you're using with yr Rega TT?

Whatever equipment one gets, DIYed or brand names regardless, good music programme is imperial. If vinyls is your first choice (mine too), try to get more vinyls. Excellent recordings are not easy to find - affordably. Older the LPs, IMO, better are the recorded music.

c-J

PS: I am yet to be impressed by any digitally mastered LP recordings so far.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 08:47 
Banned

Gio wrote:
high-res digital FLAC files (also the best sounding to my ears),

Hi
Not to my ears though. I play 48bit 192KHz mastered DVD-audio discs which sound much better than Redbook CDs, but still do not have the musical touch, feeling & being-there involvement delivered by vinyls. Everything esle being same.

Maybe I am an old schooler. But my very picky ears are not.

c-J

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next