DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 26 Nov 2020, 13:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2020, 04:18 

Hi All ! :)

I'm in search of rewewing my Audio Softwares... My old WXP laptop is dead and the softs I had in it are not anymore compliant to the W7 and the like 64bits OS... :(

I had SpectraLAB and LspLAB softwares, with which I could measure anything about amps and speakers, using an interface box of my own, between DUT and laptop (plus accessories like microphones, sound lever meter, dB calibrator, dummy power resistive load, added mass for T-S measurements, etc...) :

OK. So you see the picture, right ? ;)

What do you use for the same goals ?

Any experience, advice, tip, input is welcome ! ;)

Cheers ! :beerchug:

-tbln

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2020, 15:49 
Project Author

Hi, If your new PC has enough muscle (at least an I5 or so) you can run Oracle VM box. With the old operating system installed in it you can then load and run the programs. I use a 32 bit version of Win 10 in the VM and it works just fine with the old software. I suggest that once you have everything loaded that you disable the internet connection to the VM (just a setting and will not mess up the main PC). That way you don't need to fiddle with all the updates and don't need to use any anti virus software. It is completely on its own, but does use the mouse, drive (a partition), some of the ram, and video. I find that the VM needs at least two cores of processor (a setting again) and the 4 gig of memory that 32 bits will allow. A minimum of about 100 gb of drive space is good as well. BTW you can run Win 7 in it if desired. Actually you can run anything you want but I would probably not go below XP. The VM is free from Oracle. My PC is a bit of overkill for this sort of thing as it is an Alienware I7, 16GB with 500G SSD and Nvedia high performance video. I would not use a VM with any low performance dual core PC and certainly none with 4 gb of ram or less. An SSD is not necessary, but makes stuff a lot faster to load and run.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020, 15:57 

gofar99 wrote:
Hi, If your new PC has enough muscle (at least an I5 or so) you can run Oracle VM box. With the old operating system installed in it you can then load and run the programs. I use a 32 bit version of Win 10 in the VM and it works just fine with the old software. I suggest that once you have everything loaded that you disable the internet connection to the VM (just a setting and will not mess up the main PC). That way you don't need to fiddle with all the updates and don't need to use any anti virus software. It is completely on its own, but does use the mouse, drive (a partition), some of the ram, and video. I find that the VM needs at least two cores of processor (a setting again) and the 4 gig of memory that 32 bits will allow. A minimum of about 100 gb of drive space is good as well. BTW you can run Win 7 in it if desired. Actually you can run anything you want but I would probably not go below XP. The VM is free from Oracle. My PC is a bit of overkill for this sort of thing as it is an Alienware I7, 16GB with 500G SSD and Nvedia high performance video. I would not use a VM with any low performance dual core PC and certainly none with 4 gb of ram or less. An SSD is not necessary, but makes stuff a lot faster to load and run.

Good listening
Bruce

Thanks @gofar99 ! ;)

I note all that... In the meantime, I was looking to ARTA softwares by artalabs : do you know them ?

http://www.artalabs.hr/

Cheers ! :beerchug:

-tbln