DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 29 Oct 2020, 09:50

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steals!
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2020, 23:01 

There was an advertisement a lot of crap.€50 for the lot.....My eyes saw a dark black thing and next i thought that must be a Sansui.The advert was far away and pick up only.I wrote and i said i pay your asking price for the amplifier only..Deal..But then the question came......haha....can you post it? No problem.Uwww i was happy...Then the package came...No variac,the pictures showed fingerprints in the dust...Bad idea to start it up like that.But i couldn'd withstand it haha.

The Sansui AU 3900 felt all wrong.Crepping and screekig noises.Not good.It was my headphones.Connecting to some speakers it was obvious.WHAT AN AMP!!

Good lord this thing is serious.Now 12 hours later this thing is still playing.I didn't open it but from the story i can tell this thing is never opened.The old lady i bought from could not tell me if it worked or not.The finger prints on the layers of dust told me to buy it.

Playing all day i found the perfect match with some old B&O RL140 speakers.They are the perfect match.Just breathtaking.Every pling/plong goes trough your bones.The sharpness is real...i mean it is real.The musicality in south american music is just sweet.Boy you must have concrete shoes not to move.

Is this real? How can a 1976 amplifier rock like this? Not sure but i think this thing is never opened before.The dust and the old lady make me think so.On the other hand,no way it can still have that pling.And in general..My B&O speakers sounded never so good before.

Looking at the clock,..haha..that black "thing" is playing now for 14 hours.The postman brought it 14 hours ago.Just amazing.

Post subject: Re: Steals!
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2020, 00:25 

Electornics last forever when designed propelry and reliabily anyways, I'm not supprised that it still works

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2020, 01:32 

From 1976 and now 40 years later playing with that punch is a dream...My new Marantz is good but has not that seperation and is not that quiet.I love that quiet and then out of nothing full drama..Oh this thing is special.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2020, 15:38 
Project Author

Hi, A good deal. New Marantz are like you noted not like the older ones. I use three of them. A 1060 console amp from 1969 (runs perfectly), a 2250 receiver from 1976 in storage right now and a 2265B receiver from 1977 in my computer room / shop that runs all the time. When Sony (Superscope) took over the company stuff went down hill fast. They are making a come back, but still the stuff from before the take over is hard to beat. Extremely reliable, great sound and well built (the 2265B weighs about 50 pounds and is all solid state). Their tube gear is revered and has almost a cult following (prices reflect that too).

Good listening
Bruce