DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 03 Aug 2020, 13:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2010, 22:52 

The area I was in (pics above) seemed to be mostly complete products. The area near Yongsan seems to have some shops that deal in hifi/"boutique" audio components. That's where I found the DIY tube shop where I picked up my auricaps. I noticed others in the area. Since a great deal of shops like this deal mostly in internet or delivery sales, they tend to have really hard to locate storefronts. I'd see if your brother, or a Korean friend of his, could look around online and see what they can find for shops with the type of stuff you're looking for, then get their address and mill around in that area... stores of similar types tend to lump together here. I'll see about some maps after work.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 00:52 

Looks like hevean to me! :D

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2010, 10:03 
Banned

Cold Macaroni wrote:
Yongsan electronics market. . . this is where all the passive components and more in the Seoul area come from..

Hi.

How is the price level compared to online order in USA?

When I was in Seoul about 7 years back, I found the cost of living was pretty high vs here in the Great White North. Are those parts, e.g. tubes etc etc, expensive to buy today?

I'll be visiting Seoul again next month. I may pick up O./P & power irons & tubes if they cost less than this part of the world. I don't know.

Want to tell me address so that I can google the map where I can get there.

c-J

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2010, 00:11 

Ok, addresses are hard to come up with, but the components market (in the pics) is in located in this area:(middle of the city block the map is centered on)
South East of Jongno 3(sam)ga subway station

The area with the audio stuff (shown in pics, tube amps etc) is to the east, just past the large concrete structure that runs north-south. That entire area is fun to walk through... all sorts of tools and parts of all kinds. There was one place I found that had tubes (probably more). The guy's store was about the size of my closet, and STUFFED with old PIO caps. My girlfriend talked to him for awhile and he took us around to a large storage unit that was piled high with old tubes and electronics equipment (this was about 6 months ago). I didn't know much about them at the time, and still don't, but I remember there being A LOT. I'll see if I can find his business card.

This section of the Cheonggyecheon (the east-west stream/park area to the south of the electronics district in the map above) is lined with all kinds of tool and part shops.

This is where I found my Auricaps (http://www.dhtsound.com),
North west of Yongsan station
and the area just south (on the main road) seemed to have more hifi stuff (though I didn't look around too much, but if I wanted something like a tonearm... I would start looking around in this area. If you have a friend who can speak/type korean, I might try emailing the guy at DHT Sound and see if he has any suggestions... people are pretty cool about steering you in the right direction if they can in Korea. You usually have to ask though, information is rarely volunteered). This is right on the outside of Yongsan electronics market. Mostly PC components and video game stuff. Worth a stroll through. I'll try to take some pics next time I'm down there.

As for prices, "common" stuff is cheaper (my last trip was about a third of the digikey price. Though, as I mentioned above, I wasn't getting name branded components). One of the things I've noticed about Korea, is that there are no amateurs. If you take up a hobby you have to go balls-out. The side effect of this is that the cost of admission is pretty high. "luxury" products are overpriced. I had a student who had to go hiking with her boss and coworkers over the weekend, and she said she had to go drop about $800 on hiking stuff. This was just for hiking, not overnight, nothing fancy, just walking halfway up a damn glorified hill and having lunch. I would have worn shorts and a t-shirt. You'll see casual bicyclists who look like they're in the middle of a triathalon.

With that in mind, it's my guess that something like hi-fi equipment is going to be pricey. I could be wrong though (my auricaps were on par, maybe a touch cheaper than tubedepot)), I haven't gone around and priced stuff. If you can stay away from the big storefront "proshop" kind of places, and get to the smaller places on side streets run by guys hunched over soldering irons, you'll probably do better... those places are harder to find though.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2010, 20:39 
Banned

Hi.

Thanks for yr info.

Due to my very tight schedule there, can you please give me address of a store tell where I can pick up some old/vintage tubes & O/P irons there.? No-name brands will be OK to save cost.

c-J

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2010, 09:46 

Well, as I said earlier, addresses are tricky in neighborhoods like that, and I don't have any. The area I went to, that I showed on the map, has a few places I saw with trannies in the window, but I haven't gone into any of them, so I can't comment. The business I went to for auricaps and some other higher-fi sundries (DHTsound.com, linked and address/location given above) deals in tube amp components, I think he winds his own trannies. If you visit the site in the google web browser (chrome) you can translate most of the site reasonably well. There are undoubtedly other hi-fi places here, I just haven't run across them yet. There is one guy I found in the first neighborhood above who had a bunch of old tubes. I HAD his business card, not sure what happened to it. I'll see if I can find it. If not, I may be back in Seoul on Monday, and if I have time I'll walk down there and see if I can find it again... Tiger USA Electronics or something.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2010, 06:27 

I was out in Seoul again today after work, but I didn't make it in time for the bank or the electronics market. I might try again on Wednesday. I want to find that tube guy again.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2010, 04:49 

Jackpot.

I found another building with electronics. Basement was mostly electronics components and tools. Ground floor was consumer/household electronics. The second and third floor however, had a few dozen high-end hi-fi shops. Some REALLY impressive equipment: tube amps, solid state, speakers, turntables.

Mariners, I saw a few tonearms on the second and third floors. I don't know what the prices are like, you might want to double check prices in the US and compare them to what they say here.

Most of the shops were closed when I went today (Sunday), so I'm planning to head back this week sometime to pick up some silver interconnect cable and some other things. I'll take my camera with me and see if I can get some pics, and I'll put up another map. The building was in the Yongsan area, just past "gamer's alley."