DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 28 Nov 2020, 13:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Senior Musing
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2020, 12:38 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, This is posted on another site as they are not all members of this one.

It Seems The Pendulum Swings Again

Forgive me for the musings of a senior citizen. I was listening to a vintage LP today and thought how suitable the lyrics are to the things going on today. The LP is “The Kingston Trio Time to Think” (Capitol ST 2011). It is roughly 55 years old. That was about the time I stated college and the height of the Vietnam War. The Lyrics deal with patriotism, immigration, prejudices, protests, and hope for the future. The general theme is that things are not going well but we can improve things if we work at it. It seems to me that while we managed to accomplish many things since then the fixes didn’t stop the problems from resurfacing again. I can’t tell for sure what went on 100 to 110 years ago but I wonder if a similar situation existed then. My musing is that about once every other generation we may have to relearn how to be civil and work together. I hope I am wrong as our means of doing the opposite are growing ever more dangerous and the next time around we might wipe ourselves out.

Good listening
Bruce

Post subject: Re: Senior Musing
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2020, 07:41 

Hi Bruce,

All from listening to a record...the reason we have to relearn is because we have been "taught" or "learnt" other things.
Its interesting that years ago the same topics came up in Quatermass and the pit!
The destruction you talk about is the end result of the above.
But it doesn't help to know it .

Regards
M. Gregg.

Last edited by M. Gregg on 01 Nov 2020, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2020, 08:44 

Hi Bruce,

The problem now is that the world is getting smaller.
The idea of smaller is interesting because speed seems to reduce distance by reducing the time taken to cover it.
Yesterday is further away, than forever in the future (just a reflection) because anything in the future can be reached eventually.
But the past holds some dark places and we can reach out to it (strange).

Response times today are quite frightening where there is no time to rethink an action before it takes place.
There is no time for second thoughts.
Where do we go from here, its to far off topic.
But if science is correct about the life of our star, then nothing matters in the big picture anyway, we just think it does.
If global warming has any merit at all, people will migrate to escape super heating of areas and no water.
We are all going to get closer together if it is through population increase or situations of people fleeing natural or un-natural changes.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2020, 06:06 

Hi Bruce,

I remember listening to one of the Apollo astronauts, he said he held his thumb up and could cover the Earth with it.
Then he said he found it strange that everything man had said, done, invented, or any belief or history that had ever existed could disappear,
and no one would ever know we ever existed!

Quite interesting is that many people look at the clouds and don't realise that this world is unusual, compared to "normal" which is cold barren empty and hostile. We hide in our comfort zone in paradise compared to what we see from space exploration.
And we still can't get along, how strange.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2020, 06:29 

Hi Bruce,

I can't remember who said this it was a scientist, he said we are to advanced and to dangerous as a species to remain on Earth.
We need to leave it and fight amongst ourselves somewhere else.

I hate to say it but, talking to some teenagers that enjoyed killing wild birds.
A pond that had Swans and wild life was now almost lifeless so they had started tipping oil in it.
I asked them are you trying to create a lifeless world and you see no beauty in the world worth keeping?

They just laughed and walked off. In this world beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and no one realises its not guaranteed to be there for ever.
If what science is saying the world is changing has any merit, we may be heading for a different world not the one we are familiar with.

I should add I'm not a tree hugger, and I have never really been that interested in global warming etc.
But the things that are happening new have made me stop and think.
We are in the middle of a Pandemic, but people still fight.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2020, 11:31 
Project Author

Hi, My thought for the day...fighting (incl animosity) gets folks hurt, cooperation gets things built (or done). Differences in thoughts and ideology are fine and can help discover paths for common growth...that is until they become so intense that alternative ones are not considered. Just my two cents.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2020, 14:21 

gofar99 wrote:
Hi, My thought for the day...fighting (incl animosity) gets folks hurt, cooperation gets things built (or done). Differences in thoughts and ideology are fine and can help discover paths for common growth...that is until they become so intense that alternative ones are not considered. Just my two cents.

Good listening
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

The Fermi Paradox comes to mind. The scientists talk of the great filter.
If you could travel 1000 years into the future what would you expect to find?
What would the odds for a bet be do you think on us still being here? (just for fun)

Regards
M. Gregg