DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 27 Oct 2020, 21:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2020, 20:52 

I am using either a Thorens TD-165 via The Boozhound deluxe phono preamp or my iphone via a 4S preamp. With no source connected and the volume above 75% I get a slight same audible (with my ear a foot from the speaker) hum. With either of the sources connected its a little louder (or more like deeper).
I'm not too worries about it, as I don't crank the volume that high but for my education, how would I go about checking the grounds for a source?

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2020, 21:15 
Project Author

Hi, I wonder if it is making a ground loop through the AC mains. The design of the minis uses a three wire power input with the earth ground going to the chassis. This is in accordance with nearly all electrical codes. Be sure that you don't have any other grounds between the preamps and the amps (like an external wire). Also the drive tube is slightly sensitive to hum and emi pick up so the amps should not be really close to anything that might radiate significantly. Other thoughts...is the turntable(s) grounded to the preamp? Are they three wire powered and possibly not having the chassis isolated from the signal ground? Some still use the chassis for signal grounding and it can cause a ground loop through the AC.

What is the output impedance of the preamp(s). If it is really high that might cause issues. The amps are designed on a typical signal impedance of up to about 50K with 10K being optimum.

Did you have to physically relocate any of the components (turntable preamp etc) to set up the present system. Sometimes that can cause one to put out or be sensitive to hum.

Let us know what you discover as the amps if built like the ones in the project are really quiet.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2020, 13:26 

Thanks, I probably won't have time until the weekend but I will do some fidgeting around and see if I come up with something.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13