DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 00:22

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1897 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2018, 16:23 
Project Author

Hi, There are two of us amazed on the anodizing on the heat sinks. Yes the LM317s should be fine.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 09:38 

Hey Bruce, I've just replaced the LM317's and used the insulators, all back to normal now, although sadly one of my tubes didn't withstand the punishment, but I've got some old spares to keep me going for now.

thanks very much for all the help, massively appreciated as always.
cheers
Josh

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 14:31 
Project Author

Hi, It still boggles my mind that they worked at all.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2018, 03:33 

Just an update on my recalcitrant amp... As per Bruce's recommendation I put a 270 ohm (closest to 250) in place of the 317 and powered up. As soon as the B+ came on, it briefly glowed red and destroyed itself. I checked resistances on each pin to ground and across the transformer, and found no anomalies. So I plucked up the courage, replaced the 317 and swapped the tubes from the good channel (disconnected the B+ from that side temporarily). Powered up and nice clean sound from that side. So issue is definitely the tubes. I am hoping the supplier will replace them.
I also did cold checks from pin to every other pin but no issue. Powered the heaters, and got down to about 2 Megohms from cathode to the grid on one tube, and 4 Megohms on the other. I don't know whether that is bad or not.
Cheers,
Glenn.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018, 07:54 

Hello to all.
My Oddwatt stereo was built to replace a defunct Akai 1175 receiver (75 wpc and lots of bass).
I expected the Oddwatt bass to be less pronounced ( i.e. more realistic!) than the previous amp and have given it several months of listening to let my hearing adapt.
The net result is that whilst I love the overall sound of the Oddwatt (I listen to a lot of jazz) I would still like more bass punch in orchestral and rock music.
My Oddwatt spec. is currently 6n1p / el34, with .33uF PIO caps.

I'd welcome suggestions as to where to start and what I can realistically expect to achieve. Any ideas?
Many thanks,
Denis

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018, 15:41 
Project Author

Hi, I suggest you try JJ KT88 tubes. Other brands will work, but I have been notified of problems with EH and Psavne branded ones. IMO EL34s have a nice sound, but as you noticed lack in bass. Set the idle current to each tube at about 90ma. If you are already using a 10 ohm resistor to program the LM317s just parallel it with a 22 ohm one to get the right current. Be sure that there is always a resistor in place when the power is on. If even for a really brief time there is none the LM317 will fail because of over voltage.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2018, 02:23 

Bruce,
OK, thanks for the suggestion. Currently I use a seperate switch for the HT supply and want to add a timer delay as a little project over the next month - I'll try this change at the same time and we'll see how it goes.
BTW, the amp is very stable and completely trouble free. I would recommend it to anyone.
Denis

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1897 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190