DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 30 Nov 2020, 23:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2020, 08:51 

Hi everyone,

To keep me busy during the winter months I am contemplating building a 300B SET amp.
I am aware of the DIY 300B SET Hi-FI amplifier project (http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/300B-SET-Amplifier/) design thread.
But, I would appreciate any other recommendations.

Thanks,

Danny

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2020, 21:55 

@mwhouston could comment on living with his 2-stage 300b set of suncalc design which has its own thread. I put together the variant of that design with the 3-stages and standard quality parts. Although I reused lower spec OPTs and lower Voltage power transformer I had in a previous 300b. I am biased but I love the sound. There are a few other builds in the forum pages. A search will turn them up. Outside of this forum Blueglow on AK and his YouTube videos is slowly going through the process of choosing and ruling out existing designs before deciding on a build. ElPaso on YouTube built an existing design, not sure which but he often states how lovely the sound is.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2020, 14:31 

Danny wrote:
Hi everyone,

To keep me busy during the winter months I am contemplating building a 300B SET amp.
I am aware of the DIY 300B SET Hi-FI amplifier project (http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/300B-SET-Amplifier/) design thread.
But, I would appreciate any other recommendations.

Thanks,

Danny

Hi @Danny ! ;)

I built my pair of ULTIMATE 300B some years ago, using a simple, two-stage only circuit : one preamp stage, one power amp stage.

Prototype, circa 2008 :

Definitive built, 2015 :

Scope sine waveforms :

When I published the schematic of my circuit on Diyaudio, it has been heavily denied, denigrated and criticized by a bunch of ugly and jealous idiophiles,
the kind of moron who knows everything without ever having learned anything, who has an opinion on everything but above all an opinion, who has heard
everything without ever having listened to anything... :( :D

Oh, I guess that they took a copy of my schems - who knows ? If the circuit worked much better than they thought and argued... :D :D :D

-tbln.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2020, 18:41 
Project Author

A while back I made this post concerning picking bias points for the 300B. You might find it, and the thread in which it's contained, interesting.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2699&start=15

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2020, 17:44 

Hi Danny.
I'm new to this forum but I'm 53 so I'v built an amp or two. Built my first tube amp some 30 years ago. Built a 300B SE amplifier last winter. My idea was to go back in design to very early designs, the first designs. The breadboard Atwater type design. I also winded power and output transformer. Made all the calculations, schematics (simple 6sn7, direct drive and 300b), the chassi and all hardware. Here are some pics.IMG_8152.jpgIMG_7902.JPG

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2020, 17:44 

I don't want to hijack this thread, so feel free to tell me if I should start my own but...
I am also looking to start a 300B SET project this winter. I am thinking of building this project but as monoblocks:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/300B-SET-Amplifier/

Its practically a pair of monoblocks already.

I would use Edcor XPWR149 PTs which have an additional 6.3v winding so I wouldn't need a second transformer for the regulated power supply for the 300B heaters.

I know there are lots of designs out there and everyone has a favorite. But I already have a pair of Edcor CXSE25-8-3K OPTs which seem like they could work well here... I also have a pair of 5H 250ma toroidal chokes. So unless someone thinks there is a major drawback or problem with this idea, I think its a good choice for me.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2020, 16:37 

Andersss wrote:
Hi Danny.
I'm new to this forum but I'm 53 so I'v built an amp or two. Built my first tube amp some 30 years ago. Built a 300B SE amplifier last winter. My idea was to go back in design to very early designs, the first designs. The breadboard Atwater type design. I also winded power and output transformer. Made all the calculations, schematics (simple 6sn7, direct drive and 300b), the chassi and all hardware. Here are some pics.IMG_8152.jpgIMG_7902.JPG

Hi Anders. Sound interesting. I couldn’t get your jpg links to work.