DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 28 Nov 2020, 15:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2013, 18:06 
Project Author

I can build six tube amps in a row and not get a single shock (electrocution). While wiring up the PS for the headphone and getting the HT to a reasonable level, I got three 300V belts in a five minute period. Strangely the meter said zero volts but as my hand touched the last cap, 450uf, I get a zap. This happened three time. At least I had the mains disconnected but still not fun.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2013, 18:16 

Yeah...

That is why I do have a pair of 572B tubes for almost 3 years to build my homemade rf linear amplifier for radio-amateur use.

It runs around 3KV, so there is no room for mistakes!

Take care my friend and see you on 2014! ;)

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2013, 18:21 
Project Author

We are having New Years drinks tonight. Yes I may stay away from the PS and make sure I see the new year in haha!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2013, 09:29 

Happy new year, guys from Australia and New Zealand!! More tube stuff!! :wine: :headphones: :) :up: :idea: 8-)

Projects: OTL 6AS7 Gen, Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, PP 6005 Gen. Ellectric , headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA....SE E84L& E80CC Siemens&Tel-n.
http://azazello-sound.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2013, 09:45 
Project Author

New year has come and gone here. Back into the PS tomorrow.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 18:12 
Project Author

Finally completed and sounding out of this world. This is probably the best sounding piece of audio I have ever made. Add this to the Silver Dragon (300B), Menatzchim (C3m preamp) and Abstinence (6EM7 power amp) as my very best work. It worked first time after correcting to tiny little mistakes. It took a while to finish because I was still deciding layout and final parts selection as I built it.

From the first time I listened to the Woo HP map with the Sophia mesh plate rec. tube I knew I had to have one. I think mine may even be better. I can't believe where this HP amp takes you. It doesn't bring the orchestra into the room, it doesn't take you there as all good gear should, it stand you beside the conductor! You can hear right inside instruments. You hear the occasional bow click a violin or cello (first I thought it someone knocking on the front door), chairs squeak and resin dust falling (OK not so) . It is super rich in detail and harmonics are deep and full. From baas to treble it is 100% balanced though I could imaging some liking a brighter top end. For me it is just right and a little on the mellow side. BUT best of all it is absolutely dead quiet. With a total of 9 stages of filtering and storage of the HT it should be.

Filtering is: 4uf PIO cap, 20H 100mA choke, 100uf cap, 1K resistor, 450uf cap, 1K resistor, 100uf cap, then to driver tube, 5K resistor, 180uf cap. I was dead afraid I would hear hum on the phone. I used AC filament current but the filament windings are CTed and earthed and I all wiring twisted, with a 1uf cap across it. There is also a mains filter in the PS. I didn't need DC heaters and now glad I didn't try it. All caps are snubbed with 0.1uf polies. The output caps are quality 180uf X 2 plus these are snubbed with a Russian PIO 0.1uf cap. So each ouput cap is 360uf. You do not need any more as in the original cct. The bass on my Phiaton phones is heavy, better balance on the AT Airs.

I'm glad I bought a pair of Tesla E88CCs and paid extra for them, a lesser tube may not have given as good a performance. The 6AS7 are Wing "C" NOS again a great sounding tube. BUT I firmly believe the stunning sound is due to the Sophia mesh plate rec. tube AND the 4uf PIO Russian filter cap. Twice now I have used this combo. and I'm sure it has improved the sound. Sounding good and looking even better.

There is NO shielded wire used anywhere in the amp, NO PCBs, it is all point-2-point and componet-2-componet wiring. If I felt a wire run needed shielding I would twist another length of wire wrap wire over it and earth it at one point. All signal wire is wire warp wire. No multi-strand wire is used in the audio path. All amp soldering is with WBT silver solder. When a second HP is plugged in a 10ohm resistor is added to the output to stop load falling below 25ohms and degrading the sound. There is an absolute ton of gain and dynamics are extreme. No extra loud passages suffered any compression, the headroom is extremely large.
Attachment:
Complete.jpg
Attachment:
Inside PS.jpg
Attachment:
InSideAmp.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2014, 08:12 
Project Author

Some better picks.
Attachment:
Sanguine.jpg
Attachment:
Sanguine2.jpg
Attachment:
Sanguine3.jpg
Attachment:
Sanguine4.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2014, 02:12 
Project Author

Took ownership of some new Sennheisers HD700. Massive reviews. My AT ATH700 Airs nearly as good at a quarter the price. In fact I liked the ATs so much I ordered another pair. This way two of us can plug in to the HP amp (Sanguine) and listen at the same level and quality. At less than $150 they are an absolute steel.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2014, 19:35 
Project Author

My two extra Sophia Mesh Plate 274B/n rec. tubes arrived today. I don't like these tubes, I love them. I have some more low power power amp builds coming up where I will get a chance to use these tubes. These combined with the 4uf PIO Russian filter caps and a big choke, I believe, make the heart of a really good sounding PS. Not just that they look great!

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2014, 09:34 

Mark, looks great as always.

Do you have a schematic for the project you could post, and what is the power output of the 6as7 tube?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next