DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 27 Oct 2020, 13:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: 6CY7 Stereo Amp
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2020, 09:32 
Project Author

soundoutlad wrote:
Do I need to toss the chokes? Or is it possible to supplement them using caps and resistors?
No.

I'd say build the signal schematic found here. And build the original power supply. It should work out fine.

The real reasons I went with the Edcor power transformer were it runs cooler (because of my case design), I wanted to run a jewel indicator off the filament winding and the Hammond transformer filament winding is maxed out with just the tubes, and I wanted an all Edcor blue design above the plate.

Hope this helps.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2020, 12:53 

Thanks Suncalc, that's good to know, I've emailed the supplier to see if I can return
the originals and I prefer keeping things simple. I assume the increase in fuse size
is to cope with the inrush in a higher rated transformer. Now I'd better get on with this
build and finish in case there's a MK.3 on the way,
thanks again.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2020, 13:36 
Project Author

soundoutlad wrote:
Now I'd better get on with this build and finish in case there's a MK.3 on the way
No V3 coming for this amp. Next project is a big one, optimized 6L6GCs in UL with an integrated tone control preamp and input selector. Just need to get the time to finish it.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2020, 19:35 
Project Author

Finally got the full scale testing done on the V2 version of this amp.
Attachment:
6CY7 V2 Bandpass.png
Looks like my changes really paid off. The improvements are 0.91dB @ 50Hz, 1.46dB @ 40Hz, 2.66dB @ 30Hz, and a full 5.0dB @ 20Hz. I just A/B tested the amps and you can really feel the improvement in the low end. It's well worth the effort.

Look for the full writeup on all the design improvements and how it sounds in a week or so.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2020, 19:41 

Looks like the Edcor performs close to or better than their specifications.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2020, 21:58 
Project Author

Woodo wrote:
Looks like the Edcor performs close to or better than their specifications.
Yes. The GXSE is rated from 40Hz to 18KHz for <1dBu which is -3.2dB power into load. In this amp the response is only off 1/2dB at 40Hz. Even at 20Hz it's only down about 1.7dB.
Attachment:
6CY7 V2 Low Band Data.png
However you listen to it, the Edcor GXSE transformers are doing a fine job.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 17:27 
Project Author

Attachment:
6CY7 Zebrawood.jpg
A complete write up on the 6CY7 V.2 amplifier is now available on my website at https://www.cascadetubes.com/the-6cy7-v2-0-zebrawood-amp/. This amp meets it promise of improved low end performance and excellent sound. Feel free to take a look.

As always, question and comments are more than welcome.

Cascade Tubes Blog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14