DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 27 Oct 2020, 13:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Speaker advice
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2020, 04:21 

I have just completed this build with the KT88’s. I am confused on the Best speakers to use. I would like to build my own but not sure what configuration would be best suited.The edcor output transformers on this amp are 8 Ohm.

I would be interested in what speaker system others are using with this amp.

John

Post subject: Re: Speaker advice
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2020, 05:44 

Majority of the time, if the speakers are good, then it will be good any any amp.

Thing to look out, if your really low on output power from amp.
Then you want high sensitivty speakers 100dB+
90dB is average speakers, 85 is very low, 88 is relativly low.
95dB is high sensitivty
100is very high and good.

I was looking at a youtube reviwing speakers laterly, the bros like the speakrs resonate at 105dB approx, but no one ever cranks it up that loud. Its good at low volumes and all of that but means nothing too me.
I like all my music at 110-125dB all day if I can, also is always good to sound very nice at wispering low volume levels which is extremly hard to achieve with speakers.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2020, 10:11 

simo wrote:
I have just completed this build with the KT88’s. I am confused on the Best speakers to use. I would like to build my own but not sure what configuration would be best suited.The edcor output transformers on this amp are 8 Ohm.

John

Hi what have you built with KT88's? PP or SE.

How much power are you sinking into the speakers?

I use full range with SE but you need to get the enclosure right, its the make or break of the sound.
https://www.markaudio.com/online_shop/a ... pair-7-ms/

It also depends on what type of music you listen to and how much Bass you want.
I listen to everything from films to classical to born slippy and these speakers are interesting because they can show good detail in music etc.

It depends on your taste really :)

If your putting out high power then its a different story. You may prefer multi driver etc.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2020, 17:37 

M. Gregg wrote:
simo wrote:

John

Hi what have you built with KT88's? PP or SE.

How much power are you sinking into the speakers?

I use full range with SE but you need to get the enclosure right, its the make or break of the sound.
https://www.markaudio.com/online_shop/a ... pair-7-ms/

It also depends on what type of music you listen to and how much Bass you want.
I listen to everything from films to classical to born slippy and these speakers are interesting because they can show good detail in music etc.

It depends on your taste really :)

If your putting out high power then its a different story. You may prefer multi driver etc.

Regards
M. Gregg

I have built it as a SE amp as per this schematic http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/KT88/. I listen to anything from classical to popular at medium volumes. I am not into heavy rock at blistering volume levels. So, are you suggesting a single driver for this amp rather than a multi driver?

Are you you using the alpair-7-ms without any other drivers in the box?

John

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2020, 23:56 

WIth a single driver your never getting the 10+KHZ repoduction right, always the highs are lacking because the case will amplifiy the mid to mid lows so even if the speaker is flat curve, where they always test without a box,, in a box its not flat anymore.

But with fullragne a open baffel will solve the prolbem.

But fullrange always lacks the base.

Mind you blistering volume levels listing to nice vocals is way harder to achive right compared to medium low volume levels, not heavy rock. But normal standard music soft or fast anything a gentlement will listening to is the type I listen too.

I don't listen to the base mind you, I listen to only the midrange and vocals thats the thing most important to me, zero distrtion while keeping it nice warm and tube sounding very nice.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2020, 09:17 

Hi,

Yes I use the Alpair 7 not this version but the earlier 6 ohm driven from a tube amp with 8 ohm output.

I use it as one Alpair 7 in a box on its own without anything else no cross over no tweeter no midrange.

The highs are fine no problem details are good bass is good unless your into church organ or very heavy bass levels.

In fact the highs and bass can be to much if you drive it in the wrong enclosure.

Just looked at youtube for an example there are quite a few with not enough damping for me but this gives you an idea.
NB I have no connection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nee_InC_ubo

And
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuVCZ6vljiE

I use small boxes and find them very good they remind me of some epos 14's I had years ago.

I built mine some time ago to use with an OTL.

I changed them later to the paper cone version because I think they were more realistic with vocals, but the aluminium cone has more bass and is a warmer sounding driver which is a bit of surprise I expected the paper to be warmer for some reason but I like female vocals and the paper cone.

NB the enclosure has to be properly designed but you already know that. If it isn't it will suck! :D
Just some pics might be of interest.

The enclosure I used was a design from Planet 10 and I really like them.

Regards
M. Gregg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2020, 09:47 

Hi,

Just for interest I use front ported (a bit like a horn) so its not effected so much by position and used close to a wall.
there is a version with side ports but I don't use it because its close to other furniture.

Years ago my epos were rear ported and had to be tuned with a foam bung for the distance from the rear walls.
With front porting it doesn't seem so critical.

So the Alpair is a full range speaker, you can get all sizes but I find big cones can be a bit slow YMMV.

NB the Alpair is quite sensitive and goes quite loud with low power so it works well with SE tube amps I use them also with my EL 84 SE as well and they sound good with that amp as well as the OTL which in my small room is ear splitting way to loud for me. So they are quite versatile. A bit like an egg :D

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020, 00:30 

Thanks for your advice. You have done a nice job with the amp, it looks great. I have been looking at the Alpair 7 MS and also some models of the Audio Nirvana. I also thought that when I build the cabinet it would be front ported . I was looking at this model in the Audio Nirvana range - Classic 12 Ferrite. I am not sure if I should be going for a 12 inch or not.

"The Audio Nirvana 'Classic 12 FERRITE' ($475/pr) has a test bench frequency response from 31 hz to almost 20,000 hz (varies by temperature). You can expect at least 99 db efficiency in any of our cabinets. It handles 30 watts continuous RMS (normal listening level will be about 1/10 watt). Impedance is 8 ohms. Voice coil is 1.5 inches (38 mm). Magnet weight is 3.2 lbs. Total weight is 11 lbs. The cone is made of paper. The surround is accordion style and made of treated cloth. The dust cap is a specially coated fabric material. The frame is cast aluminum."

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020, 04:04 

Planet10 thought the 10in AN was pretty good if not comparatively pricey. Didn’t specifically mention the 12 inch. He does countless designs of markaudio and fostex drivers. There was one guy on diyaudio.com who used the AN super 12 but mainly for midrange and high freq in a test rig. bass was handled by a separate woofer. I didn’t see the final outcome. it’s a shame it’s difficult to audition diy speakers which would take the risk out of the process. @mwhouston was a member of an audio group in Melbourne. He may advise whether active or not and what gear people usually have.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2020, 00:55 

Woodo wrote:
Planet10 thought the 10in AN was pretty good if not comparatively pricey. Didn’t specifically mention the 12 inch. He does countless designs of markaudio and fostex drivers. There was one guy on diyaudio.com who used the AN super 12 but mainly for midrange and high freq in a test rig. bass was handled by a separate woofer. I didn’t see the final outcome. it’s a shame it’s difficult to audition diy speakers which would take the risk out of the process. @mwhouston was a member of an audio group in Melbourne. He may advise whether active or not and what gear people usually have.

What sound proofing insulation did you use and where did you buy it? I was told to get R11 Fibreglass Insulation, however, Bunnings only seem to sell R4 - R7.

Also, do you know if using a laminate on the finished cabinets will affect the sound quality in any way?

Thanks, John