DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 04 Dec 2020, 22:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 16:36 

Hello folks,recentily i construct this circuit...http://diyaudioprojects.com/Schematics/ ... fier.htm... but with a led in place the cap/resistor cathode,and with 1uf output capacitor,has a lovely sound,very
tight bass,and beautiful highs,would be better if a ran before the baxandall or after going to oddblock? Thanks all.

PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 20:00 

Input impedances of tone controls are reltaivly low so you want the pre amp to drive the tone control

PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 20:39 
Project Author

Read this post here for a good discussion of the trade offs.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5199&start=26

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 21:54 
Project Author

Hi, I didn't run any sims on it but it may work if the tone controls are either before or after the preamp. The input impedance of Oddblocks is nominally 100K and are moderately sensitive 1-2 vrms will drive them to full output. Getting that much through some tone controls may be an issue as depending on the boost / cut range you will lose that much in signal level coming out of the preamp. Typical +/- ranges go from 6 to 12 db. So the insertion loss will be equal to that approximately. There are a number of calculators on the web that can match impedance of load to loss that could be used to play a what if deal and possibly find some combination that will work. You need to be aware that the preamp does not have infinite output voltage and the more needed the higher the distortion is likely to be. If the controls are in front of the preamp you will be able to increase the gain to offset the loss in the controls. However....it may depend on the source device. Can it drive the tone stack. Impedances will come into that issue. Additionally you may well encounter a higher hum level because you take a signal and reduce it (loss) significantly and then re-amplify it. With the output of the preamp directly driving the amps. Thus they will see both the hum level in the preamp as well as the hum increase in the signal. Personally I don't use any tone controls. Not because I think they are bad things, just I believe that if you need them to fix problems in your system I feel it is better to fix the system. If the source material is deficient ...I normally won't listen to it. There is too much well recorded available and life is too short to listen to mediocre stuff. YMMV

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 14 May 2020, 19:03 

hello Bruce, I fully agree with you, the defect in my system is the speakers, but my financial situation does not allow me to fix this problem now ... but with baxandall here on the site, I get a better answer inside my room , and adding srpp, i get full power even by cell phone ... i liked more srpp going to oddblock,baxandall/4s between srpp and oddblock.
big hug to all ... ass Henrique.

Last edited by gonzalo guerrero on 14 May 2020, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 May 2020, 19:34 

nice sound.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.