DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 07:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 02:01 

Suncalc wrote:
In designing my coupling circuits I am very careful about bias recovery time. Generally I design the signal chain so one stage will transition to grid conduction first. Then I manage that stage to limit bias excursion recovery time. Here is the passage from my design notebook concerning bias excursion.
Attachment:
Bias Excursion and recovery.jpg

Read these two passages carefully and it should become more clear what I am saying.

Thanks for the explanation Matt. I've read those two passages many times and I'm getting the gist of it. I think I have much more to learn before I fully understand it.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2019, 22:08 

I only skimmed through those pages, but the main take away is that unless you want a amp that works well on overdrive.
Otherwise the effect dosen't occur untill you overdrive.

Smaller grid resistors for better bias recovery time only makes your amp perform better during overdrive.
Overdrive always means distortion anways regardless of how small you make the grid resistor, for dudes that want real low distoriton hifi is always better to have schematics that are less proune to overdrive.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2019, 11:44 
Project Author

ILoveHiFi wrote:
Otherwise the effect dosen't occur untill you overdrive.
The point being missed is this: At higher volume levels, due to the dynamic nature of musical levels (especially in some classical scores), there is always a risk of brief periods of overdrive. How the amp performs during these brief periods is of paramount importance to the overall listening experience. I just try to make sure that when I design an amp, I address not just the average performance, but all the corners of the operations envelope.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2019, 12:01 

I take it that when you design an amp you are looking for as much power as possible without compromising the quality, therefore you design each stage to run full out. As you say, there is always something in a piece of music that will push it into overdrive unless you design it to run at say three quarter power from the start. I understand all of that and why you need a fast recovery time when it's designed to it's limits. What I would like explained if possible, is the 400 bpm. Why that figure, and how does that relate to 50ms recovery time.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2019, 19:30 
Project Author

john55 wrote:
What I would like explained if possible, is the 400 bpm. Why that figure, and how does that relate to 50ms recovery time.
Well traditionally the Vivace tempo, which is the fast tempo in classical music, tops out at about 180 beats per minute. However, there are some Spanish guitar pieces that actually push the 250 beats per minute limit although few can play them. In modern music, there are some beats which are upward of 300 BPM. This is about 5 beats a second. The 400 bpm limit I use relates to about 6 and 2/3rds bpm or one beat every 150mS. Since recovery takes about 5 times the time constant, I set the maximum time constant at about 30mS. 30mS*5=150mS. 1/150mS = 6.667bps or 400 bpm.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2019, 02:57 

Thanks Matt. I've just found a post of yours on a thread called "coupling capacitor" viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5113

For anyone looking to understand bias excursion and bias recovery this is a MUST READ.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2019, 13:31 

Hi Matt, In your post on a thread called Coupling Capacitor, ( link mentioned in above post), there is a part schematic to make it clearer. It's a very clear explanation and I've understood everything. Silly question, but can you tell me what the abbreviation " Reg " stands for, as in " Reg = Ro + Rg2 ". I've been searching for hours to no avail.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2019, 17:27 
Project Author

john55 wrote:
I've been searching for hours to no avail.
I'M SORRY!

That's my sloppy handwriting. It should be "Req" as in "R equivalent". It's just my shorthand. I hope you didn't spend too much time on this. :blush:

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019, 12:47 

Please don't apologize. I've learnt more in the last three weeks than I ever thought possible. Mathematics is not my strong point, but a good explanation, with examples works wonders.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15