DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 27 Oct 2020, 13:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 6V6 PP amp
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2019, 17:26 

The main thing about chockes is for the simulated caluclations to work, the core must not saturate
Real life the most filtering transformers saturate and you do not get the filtering effect

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 12:16 

and so it begins:
Attachment:
temp.jpg

I've been hearing about Greenlee punches for years and they really are great.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 22:33 

Looks like a cool project. I used the stepped drill for the holes and worked ok. Your greenlees would be way more accurate I'd guess. Good luck.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2020, 11:27 

The stepped bits are nice too. I used that for the holes for the wires from the transformers that I did last night.

I stumbled on a single used greenlee punch for sale at a really good price that was the exact size for the tube sockets. For me it was nice because it took the fear of going one too many notches down the stepped bit.
Now I just need a rectangular punch for the iec power connector. I keep telling myself that this time I will go slow and do a clean job of that one

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2020, 17:13 

invaderzim wrote:
The stepped bits are nice too. I used that for the holes for the wires from the transformers that I did last night.

I stumbled on a single used greenlee punch for sale at a really good price that was the exact size for the tube sockets. For me it was nice because it took the fear of going one too many notches down the stepped bit.
Now I just need a rectangular punch for the iec power connector. I keep telling myself that this time I will go slow and do a clean job of that one

I recall @Gio posted a few years back he used a Klein nibbler even on a steel chassis. I looked and couldn’t find one or a compatible in Aust . I used a strip nibbler which got me part of the way followed by a couple of hours of filing. Got to be a better way. than that though.

easy search: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4547&p=50310&hilit=klein#p50310

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2020, 11:29 

I wish I had a larger chassis for the build. It looked big until I got everything mounted and now things are quite close and there isn't enough room underneath for a nice layout to be easy. And I need it to be as easy as possible ;)

It is 8 x 12 and the 10 x 17 seems to be a much more commonly used size.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 18:13 

I finished the amp and fired it up to a high pitch scream from both channels and no music.

I double and triple checked all the wiring and didn't find anything that was off. I checked the grounds and grid stoppers.

I checked the hand-written wiring notes that came with the output transformers to make sure I had the right side for ground on them and it was but as a long shot I reversed them and the scream went away but the volume level is really low.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 18:58 

Hi,

First guess feedback problem.
Its probably out of phase,
Take a look at the 6SL7 cathodes one has the FB on it, the other has a capacitor.

Swap the feedback connections on the output transformer as a quick test.
Check the capacitor and feedback connections on the 6SL7.

The more involved way if you want to keep the Gnd on the C and the FB on the 16 ohm tap is to swap over the output tubes connections from one side of the output transformer to the other. But you obviously need to move the Ultra linear tap so its on the same side as the correct tube.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 05:20 

Hi,

As you know the gain is set via the 100K anode load and the 1K cathode resistor to ground via the output winding.
The other side is again 100K anode load via 100 ohm to 1K to ground via the output transformer.
The AC gain is increased via the 100uF cap from the cathode to ground.

So if everything is as it should be but the gain is to low you could connect the feedback to the 8 ohm tap instead of the 16 ohm.
This will reduce the FB and it should have more gain.

Make sure the output tube cathodes have their ground between the 47uf and 47K resistor.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 20:27 

Thank you for the detailed tips M. Gregg.

I got it working, and it sounds better on speakers that weren't blown by the squealing sound. It still seems a bit low on power based on the estimated 10 watts that was shown as it is quieter than my SE 6L6GC amp but it does sound quite nice and is more compact.