DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 07 Aug 2020, 07:50

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 20:34 

Yeah MUSE is the highest quality cap from nihcicon.
I never knew Mundorf also makes elecoyotilce like capacitance capacitors for audio use.

Since you are using fancy mcaps, then the bypass caps should be audio grade not any power supply one to gain some sound quality.
I'm not professional on caps since all I do is just purchase the low cost and widley avalible geniune ones and use them.
Erse pulse X is a cheap alternativee to mcaps.

That is correct, you remove the green wire and replace it with a blue wire as shown in photo.

I think its normall that you are hearing diffrences when you are using high quality caps.

But one thing I did notice though is that with Nichicon KA caps compred to standard low esr caps in a SMPS powersupply output is that the KA makes the midrange sound hard and transitor alike, but it adds eleagant and nice colouring to the midrange.
Standard caps are blunt and theres no excitment to midrange but warm.

PostPosted: 01 May 2020, 12:13 

Suncalc wrote:

"the same people espousing the magical sound of some tubes remain completely ignorant of the circuits in which they are run"

Yep, that's me alright.
Trot out the virgins… 8-)

PostPosted: 06 May 2020, 21:34 
Project Author

Just wanted to say I admire the creativity put into this project and on the side note I love the sound of even the FG series of Nichicon capacitors. I have completely recapped many mid range receivers and amplifiers with them and it is a night and day difference, especially compared to the penny crap they put in the NAD's.

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 20:01 

CrazzyAbtTubes wrote:
Just wanted to say I admire the creativity put into this project and on the side note I love the sound of even the FG series of Nichicon capacitors. I have completely recapped many mid range receivers and amplifiers with them and it is a night and day difference, especially compared to the penny crap they put in the NAD's.

Thank you and thanks for the advice. I have a bunch of old NAD amps that I've used as part of a whole-house audio system. I've never opened on up to be honest. NAD was the first amp I bought in college in 1986 so I have a personal history with them.

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 21:22 

Loved my NAD fm receiver in the early 80s. Quality product. Shame I don’t have it now as well as my turntable assuming they were unnecessary dinosaurs. My brother had the 3020 amp which only stopped working a few years ago. Sweet sounding. I should have rescued it but doubt my ability to fix it.

PostPosted: 11 May 2020, 22:26 

Nice original design. Outside the box.
Great metal work and layout!

PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 11:54 

slotube wrote:
Nice original design. Outside the box.
Great metal work and layout!

Outside the bun, yes. :P

PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 05:59 

What a great job! I really love the whole concept, and I might consider trying something like this for a future project. I would really have to improve my wiring style though since it isn't anywhere near as nice as yours.

By coincidence I just built a "marblewood" too though my is much more conventional. Just love the sound!

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020, 13:19 

eshazen wrote:
What a great job! I really love the whole concept, and I might consider trying something like this for a future project. I would really have to improve my wiring style though since it isn't anywhere near as nice as yours.

By coincidence I just built a "marblewood" too though my is much more conventional. Just love the sound!

Very nice! Sorry for the late response.

The thing I love about the Marblewood is tube rolling. I believe the brits call it "cork sniffing". Trying out all different kinds of NOS tubes to see how they sound.

Gustave

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2020, 22:42 
Project Author

Great looking and right up my alley. For your first build that is a killer. I’ve made my version of Matt’s 6V6 some years ago but sold recently. Warm sounding little beauty - “Black Lace”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next