DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 04 Dec 2020, 22:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 May 2020, 11:41 

I have always thought that every piece of audio equipment I got needed to have the magic 20Hz to 20KHz rating. In recent reading on output transformers for tube audio I discovered that sometimes the push for hitting 20Hz sacrifices the transient dynamic response. And that got me to wondering just how much the music that I listen to ever dips below 40Hz. Some low piano notes can hit down there but are there other Classical and Jazz instruments that do much below 40Hz? Even classic rock never seemed to do much in the really low frequencies.
My stand mount speakers don't do anything really below 55Hz and while I do have subs to help out below that the music I listen to doesn't thump much. My subwoofers don't pound on my chest they just make the music sound a bit fuller in the lower end so if I stopped at 40Hz would I notice it?

PostPosted: 08 May 2020, 15:11 
Project Author

I always find the chart a good place to start...
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 1.07.19 PM.jpg

And keep in mind that just because an instrument goes that low, doesn't mean that it's used very often. Also, musical instruments are rich in harmonics, so while you may suppress the fundamental with a higher rolloff frequency, you'll still likely get all the harmonics and, as such, retain most of the character of that line in the music.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 08 May 2020, 21:46 
Project Author

Hi, I agree that most music doesn't get much below 50HZ, But....and a big one I have my subs set for 12db/octave at 45 to play alongside of my electrostatics that are supposed to be -3db at 30HZ. They are naturally set for cut at 45HZ. I use a Behringer electronic crossover, passive preamp and a quad of matching Oddblocks. (no tone controls) Turning off the subs on a lot of music makes a huge difference. Light jazz, piano, strings etc it really doesn't matter, but pop, rock and folk music it does. YMMV

Good listening
Bruce