DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Sep 2019, 19:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2019, 12:20 

Woodo wrote:
Not the camera's fault but the operator's.

"Dirt behind the wheels", is a popular Swedish saying. Easy to understan which side is "behind" ...

Two points of ... something:
a) Dug up nice chassis, or part of a chassis from the basement and found that it fitted PERFECTLY ......... but no room for the SMPS :censored: .

There's the kind of chassis I had in mind. Will work if ia bolt the PSU (or transformer) on top, but I want to??

Attachment:
6P1P_05.jpg

b) I do belong to a group of lazy DIY:ists that don't believe in various audiophools and that know that all Cu-wire is OFC. I also have no preferences regarding amplifier topologies. A good amplifier is always a good amplifier. There are class B transistor amps that can make you religious and hi-end DHT amps that sounds like batsh|t.
I, however prefer SE amps as they are easy to produce and even if they are low power stuff, I don't need 500W to my speakers. IF I run into an odd, interesting and not expensive design - I put everything aside and go for that odd construction.
I also have two 50W transistor amps waiting for the magicial finishing touches, a bunch of cheap Chinese classD-amps and both SE and PP amps. So I have absolutely no preyoud .. prejoduc .. prejuice .. DARN! ...I am NOT biased towards any kind of design.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2019, 15:19 

Not going to be neat and extreme rugged but works, just use cable ties to mount the toridal.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2019, 03:42 

The toroid just happened to be placed there. I got EI-trannies that will do the job and the ... SMPS .... doesn't fit at all.

A perfect fit. The amp board fits very fine. Drill three holes in the top cover for tubes and off we go.

Attachment:
IMG_7545.jpg

But this photo shows that there's no way to squeeze the PSU in the chassis.

Attachment:
IMG_7546.jpg

And fiunally, a comparison between, what could be a small 3W tube amplifier and my 15W silicon amp (needs an 12-24V PSU = wall wart).

Attachment:
IMG_7547.jpg

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019, 00:09 

What an unusual looking cabinet. Two separate extrusion pieces.
I like the dip. This is going to be a cool amp.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019, 02:09 

The cabinet has propably been used for some kind of industrial controller system.

I am constantly rethinking and reconsidering how to, by the end of October (Triode summit in Gothenburg), build a small batterypowered tube amp. The kit shown above is a good choice as it is almost ready to play, but it takes up too much space.
Another sound idea is to build yet another Darling. Got some 1626's lying around. With the 12SL7, I have also solved the problem with heaters; they all run on 12V.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019, 20:24 

Soundbrigade wrote:
The cabinet has propably been used for some kind of industrial controller system.
Another sound idea is to build yet another Darling. Got some 1626's lying around. With the 12SL7, I have also solved the problem with heaters; they all run on 12V.

My version of the Darling 1626 with 12SL7 driver. Chassis is Hammond 10x6x2".

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 03:13 

That one looked fine :up: .

http://www.fragjanzuerst.de have a small transformer that fits a small (in size and power) amplifier, else the small Hammond trannies are good choices and there are several small ones at Röhrentechnik: https://roehrentechnik.de/html/bastel-au.html

―Lewis Carroll

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6