DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 13 Aug 2020, 20:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: 6CY7 Stereo Amp
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 18:51 
Project Author

I did some basic assembly on the new 6CY7 top plate today. For such a small plate (6-1/4" x 10-1/2") it's kind of heavy. I made it out of 0.10" thick aluminum because I wanted to protect against sag.
Attachment:
Top-Assembly-1.jpg

The top hides a lot going on underneath.
Attachment:
Top-Assembly-2.jpg
It look's so messy mostly because of all the transformer and choke leads that have not been soldered into place yet. It should be pretty neat and tidy when everything get done.

Before I start wiring this up I think I'm going to get some "pre-wiring" done on the chassis.

Definitely making progress.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2020, 08:46 

Suncalc wrote:
And for a discussion of noisy tube rectifiers, see this thread: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2912&start=25

Interesting read. Appears I was having the opposite situation occur as the rectifier I was using started introducing noise after 20-30 mins of warming up.
Your build is looking great so far. Really interested to hear your thoughts comparing two versions once you've finish it.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2020, 01:01 

Hey I just want to thank you, just finished my 6CY7 build, flipped the switch...it works! And what sound, after about 1 hour the caps really warmed up and it both opened up & got a bit louder!

I deviated a bit from the schematic as I used a SMPS & boost converter instead of linear. Omitted the first choke, mine has CRC with a 68 ohm resistor, and then went with the recommended CLC Hammond 154Ms individual filtered channels. Absolutely quiet.

Does a triode-strapped 6BQ5 sound this good? Maybe I'll build one and see.
I'm finding it hard to turn this off and go to sleep. Thanks again!

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2020, 19:59 

ronel wrote:
my questions is after the heater section and then the 2 100ohm .5w resistors to ground is that classy ground or is that connected to the negative side of the capacitors on the 6ca4 section?

Yes, connected to all the - of the filter caps, and I believe that's called a "virtual ground" because some power transformers do not have a center tap for the filament winding.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 13:30 
Project Author

Finally have gotten around to some assembly on the new design. This should give a little indication of what she'll look like.
Attachment:
Partial-Assembly.jpg

And some chassis internals.
Attachment:
Partial-chassis-wiring.jpg

I don't know how much more I'll get done today, but I am making progress (albeit slowly).

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 17:32 
Project Author

A little progress on the main board; mostly just wiring.
Attachment:
Some-Progress.jpg

Cascade Tubes Blog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13