DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Dec 2018, 04:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: "Lacewood" Amp V2.0
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2018, 03:18 
Offline

Joined: 13 May 2016, 02:02
Posts: 100
Location: Javea, Spain
Amp has been fired up and has been running for two hours with no problems. So just an early valve death. Thanks for your input Jim_O
230V is spot on for Spain. Thanks Matt for the information for checking out the transformer. I felt a lot easier switching on after completing the checklist on the transformer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Lacewood" Amp V2.0
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 09:10 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 01 Jun 2013, 09:05
Posts: 677
Suncalc wrote:
lowhifi wrote:

The Lundahl LL1663/50mA is sized to cleanly handle up to 50mA DC current AND the signal fluctuations without saturating. (LL1663 data sheet attached) The design point of the lacewood is 43mA total DC magnetization current. This is only 86% of the maximum design specification which likely already has a little design margin thrown in for manufacturing yield purposes.
Attachment:
1663.pdf

Go ahead and use the LL1663/50mA. The amp will have fuller low end performance and will have significantly better transient response. You do not need to worry about core saturation. Trust the designers at Lundahl. They know what they're doing.


LL 1663/50mA?
PP with U/L taps (yes), SE with U/L? am I missing something. Whats the pin configuration for SE U/L.


Regards
M. Gregg

_________________
What is the sound of one hand clapping?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Lacewood" Amp V2.0
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 21:10 
Offline
Project Author
User avatar

Joined: 06 Apr 2009, 10:08
Posts: 1499
Location: US Pacific Northwest
M. Gregg wrote:
LL 1663/50mA?
PP with U/L taps (yes), SE with U/L? am I missing something. Whats the pin configuration for SE U/L.

Lundahl LL1663 Data Sheet attached.
Attachment:
1663.pdf


This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.


_________________
Matt
It's all about the Glass!
http://www.CascadeTubes.com
Cascade Tubes Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Lacewood" Amp V2.0
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2018, 07:47 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 01 Jun 2013, 09:05
Posts: 677
Hi Matt,

On the SE Ultra linear, which pin number are you using to give the ratio for the Lacewood circuit?
The choice is 5-11, 3, or 9. Just wondering what % tap the circuit requires.
Ie is there a compromise.

Regards
M. Gregg

_________________
What is the sound of one hand clapping?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Lacewood" Amp V2.0
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2018, 18:02 
Offline
Project Author
User avatar

Joined: 06 Apr 2009, 10:08
Posts: 1499
Location: US Pacific Northwest
M. Gregg wrote:
Ie is there a compromise.
Yes. But it's complicated. The amp's performance is based on the 40% tap used by Edcor on the GXSE. Obviously you're not going to get that with the LL1663.

The default would be to use pins 5/11 for the screen. This is a 50% tap and frankly, the differences between this and 40% are not that major. This is rigidly halfway between pentode and triode modes. I haven't tried it but I doubt most people would notice a difference between this and a 40% tap.

Using pin 3 is up toward a pure pentode mode. It's one half (with windings in series) of a 33% tap or about 16.5%. This actually has a pretty large effect with the 6V6 and it may be a suitable choice, but some experimentation would be required.

Pin 9 is so close to pure triode mode that I would not bother. You would probably be better off running the 6V6 as a triode.

So, yes, compromise is the name of the game. The initial compromise, choosing a different output transformer, drives the next compromise, how to connect. But that's normal in all things DIY. YMMV.

_________________
Matt
It's all about the Glass!
http://www.CascadeTubes.com
Cascade Tubes Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Lacewood" Amp V2.0
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 05:13 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 01 Jun 2013, 09:05
Posts: 677
Suncalc wrote:
M. Gregg wrote:
Ie is there a compromise.
Yes. But it's complicated. The amp's performance is based on the 40% tap used by Edcor on the GXSE. Obviously you're not going to get that with the LL1663.

The default would be to use pins 5/11 for the screen. This is a 50% tap and frankly, the differences between this and 40% are not that major. This is rigidly halfway between pentode and triode modes. I haven't tried it but I doubt most people would notice a difference between this and a 40% tap.
But that's normal in all things DIY. YMMV.



Thanks for the answer,

If all else failed, you could drop the CT voltage with a series regulator to get it down.
Yes, the "Close to pentode" tap would be interesting.
I tried the pentode connection using driver supply AKA Magnavox and other variations on a small SE.
Stiff regulated pentode/ Electron stream and diode-triode. (Taste varies :D )

I was interested in your thoughts on the 50%, as you say just a bit different.
Also your thoughts relating to the trade off Edcor Vs the "Better output TX".
Its strange Lundahl don't provide the additional tap for use on the SE version "which is air gapped".
(Not interchangeable / rewireable SE or PP) I guess it’s a cost constraint.

Just something to consider looking at other Output Tx's.
Just a thought, hopefully they bring the terminations for 5/11 out to the connection block on the SE version. :confused:

Regards
M. Gregg

_________________
What is the sound of one hand clapping?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Lacewood" Amp V2.0
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 15:54 
Offline

Joined: 03 Jan 2017, 20:59
Posts: 25
I have just received my Lundahls LL1663 but i am too busy with home improvement to think about tube amps.
It is possible to add a switch to choose between penthode and triode? Regards.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Lacewood" Amp V2.0
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2018, 12:14 
Offline

Joined: 13 May 2016, 02:02
Posts: 100
Location: Javea, Spain
I first found DIY Audio Projects about two and a half years ago. I've built the 6EM7 Vertical Amp twice in different cabinets, the 4S Universal Pre-Amp twice in different cabinets, the Lacewood 6V6 V.2 twice in different cabinets and a Baxandall Tone Stack in a wine box. All the builds have been fun and I've had them all in different combinations to find the sound I like best. Friends have bought some of the builds from me and I'm now left with a 6EM7 Amp, a 6V6 V.2 Amp and a Baxandall Tone Stack, all three of them in different cabinets. After many hours listening and a lot of soul searching, I decided that the 6V6 with the Baxandall Tone Stack was the perfect combination. I can't overstate the importance of the tone stack. I know many people say that with bass and treble controls you're colouring the sound, that you're interfering with the pure signal. Well so be it, to my ears (which are a getting on a bit and not as good as they could be), being able to adjust the higher and lower frequencies to suit the listening environment and my substandard ears works perfectly.

So what to do about the look of the equipment. I decided to completely disassemble the 6V6 and the tone stack and rebuild them in matching cabinets. Also space is a problem so I decided to stack them.
Finished the project this morning with the exception of some nice feet for the 6V6.

The sound is perfect. Not a whisper of noise or hum from a relatively cheap pair of speakers. Can't wait to get it connected to my Fostex Back Loaded Horns upstairs.


This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Lacewood" Amp V2.0
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2018, 21:47 
Offline
Project Author
User avatar

Joined: 06 Apr 2009, 10:08
Posts: 1499
Location: US Pacific Northwest
A very cool and unique build. It really looks great! Well Done!

_________________
Matt
It's all about the Glass!
http://www.CascadeTubes.com
Cascade Tubes Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Lacewood" Amp V2.0
PostPosted: 13 Aug 2018, 08:26 
Offline
Project Author
User avatar

Joined: 06 Jun 2008, 18:23
Posts: 4988
Location: Australia
john55 wrote:
I first found DIY Audio Projects about two and a half years ago. I've built the 6EM7 Vertical Amp twice in different cabinets, the 4S Universal Pre-Amp twice in different cabinets, the Lacewood 6V6 V.2 twice in different cabinets and a Baxandall Tone Stack in a wine box. All the builds have been fun and I've had them all in different combinations to find the sound I like best. Friends have bought some of the builds from me and I'm now left with a 6EM7 Amp, a 6V6 V.2 Amp and a Baxandall Tone Stack, all three of them in different cabinets. After many hours listening and a lot of soul searching, I decided that the 6V6 with the Baxandall Tone Stack was the perfect combination. I can't overstate the importance of the tone stack. I know many people say that with bass and treble controls you're colouring the sound, that you're interfering with the pure signal. Well so be it, to my ears (which are a getting on a bit and not as good as they could be), being able to adjust the higher and lower frequencies to suit the listening environment and my substandard ears works perfectly.

So what to do about the look of the equipment. I decided to completely disassemble the 6V6 and the tone stack and rebuild them in matching cabinets. Also space is a problem so I decided to stack them.
Finished the project this morning with the exception of some nice feet for the 6V6.

The sound is perfect. Not a whisper of noise or hum from a relatively cheap pair of speakers. Can't wait to get it connected to my Fostex Back Loaded Horns upstairs.

You have really gone all out. Good work.

_________________
Projects: "Grace" - Psvane 6SN7-SE Globe preamp | | "VoXUno" - Single driver MarkAudio 12P speaker | | "Lagoon Take 2" - Single stage tube preamp | Website: retro-thermionic


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
DIY Tube Projects :: DIY Tube Amp Kits :: DIY Speaker Projects :: DIY Solid State Projects :: DIY IC / Op-amp Projects :: DIY Phono Projects :: DIY Cable Projects :: Hi-Fi Audio Schematics
© diyAudioProjects.com - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy