DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 02:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 12J8 Headphone Amplifier
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2018, 22:45 

Hi all,

I was playing with a 12J8 tube before and found that it did okay. I was using those little 1K:8 audio transformers that Radio Shack used to sell, which are capable of a few hundred mW into a speaker. Not ground-breaking, but decent for headphones. It's altogether possible that a larger transformer could provide better fidelity and soforth.

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/127/1/12J8.pdf

Anywho, I am proposing a headphone amplifier that will use these as output tubes. I would like to implement some kind of gain stage prior to the tetrode so I can effect some negative feedback. That might make the tiny transformers more willing to perform well. I do remember that the sound was kind of rich in the highs and I could mellow it out by placing a 100nF capacitor from the plate to ground. I might look for a 12U7 (which I'm convinced is a 12AU7 proven for low-voltage) or I might use one of my clear-top RCAs.

Either way, I will provide more information when there is more information. I'd like to make this one exceptionally hum and noise free, something I haven't achieved with other tube amps I've made. The last headphone amplifier I built using tubes was a 12AU7/IRF510 model. IIRC, the gain of a 12AU7 is something like 5 at 12 volts if the next stage is a high-impedance load like a MOSFET or even an LM386.

I'd consider getting better transformers, but I also have no interest in getting Edcor transformers that will cost at least $50-60 for two models (when shipping is factored in) and will take months. Maybe some feedback from the experts here could be helpful.

Ed

You can't have too much heat sink.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2018, 06:55 

Those transformers bottomed out at about 300cps. they wee made for transistor radios. you might try anything else. Stay away from communication transformers (telephone duty)

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2018, 09:15 

When I get back to my work bench, it might be good to run a test and plot out a frequency response curve for the amplifier. What you're saying makes sense, because the sound was very bright and airy when I wired it up. It would be okay for a radio receiver (especially with some audio filtering) but for a "hi-fi headphone amplifier" I'd want to use something else. It's also possible that I could drive a FET or a transistor with 12J8, as that is what they were made to do in the first place.

I also have one or two pieces of 70v, 10w PA speaker transformers. I could wire one of those to see what the frequency response curve would be. I have used one of those in the past with 12AU7 and 24 volts and it worked well. What I don't want to do is corner myself into buying $25-30 worth of transformers for an amplifier that will put out 20 mW. I still like the idea of using no semiconductor parts in the amplifier. If I decide to use the extra diodes in the 12J8 to make a level indicator, I may not be able to get around that though.

Ed

You can't have too much heat sink.